Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Back from Frosh-O

IrishcaliIrishcali Posts: 297Registered User Junior Member
What an amazing weekend! We just returned from taking our daughter to ND for her freshman year. The weekend of activities was great! From the "Frosh-O staff" of students in the hall (Welsh Family) that helped us move in, to all the other people on campus that helped with everything, it was smooth and memorable all in one. A special highlight was the Mass this morning that brought tears to our eyes, and of course, the "Spirit of Notre Dame" program this afternoon, with the bands, chorale and coaches that got everyone in the true spirit of Notre Dame and the ND family. For those new to ND, or considering it as a choice for college, I can't imagine a better place to go, or to send your child off to. In a word...WOW!
Post edited by Irishcali on

Replies to: Back from Frosh-O

• fencersmotherfencersmother Posts: 1,972Registered User Senior Member
    That's great to hear! I hope/know she'll love her whole year (of course she will; it is NOTRE DAME!). Keep us posted on how things shake out.
  • ddjones007ddjones007 Posts: 629Registered User Member
    An amazing weekend...our second such Frosh-O experience in three years. Toughest part was saying goodbye. My son the junior came to meet us as we hugged our daughter the freshman. As we walked away, the tears forming in earnest then, I saw the two of them walking down the quad towards the dining hall, moving on with their ND experience. An incredible place. But oh so far... We are an exceptionally close family--I can't believe we were willing to let both of them go so far away, except that it is such an amazing opportunity for them.

But me and my ten year-old son shed plenty of tears on the 8-hour ride home. And my husband, who was driving, was having a tough time keeping clear-eyed for the road.

Feels like someone tore my heart out...but I know they are in a place where they are happy and thriving...

Sometimes it just sucks to be a parent doing the right thing...

Anyone else feel that way?
  • jvon2432jvon2432 Posts: 473Registered User Member
    most AMAZING place ever... my mom BALLED the whole ride from our last lunch to my dorm and we're from chicago! she's coming to see me in like 2 weeks haha...

dd--REALLY weird your daughter is in welsh because my cousin is in there (junior) so i'll be spending a lot of time there! lol who knows, maybe i'll meet her--you're probably praying no--i think you blocked me awhile ago haha
  • danbrenndanbrenn Posts: 377Registered User Member
    ddjones, did your son staff the Navy O-week this year?
  • maggiejetermaggiejeter Posts: 116Registered User Junior Member
    Danbrenn, yes, my son staffed Navy O-week. Jvon, my daughter is in Pangborn, so you may have already met her during one of those mixer things. I won't block you from her :) She's a hard-core cross country runner and soccer player, so I figure if she doesn't want to be around somebody, she can run in the other direction or just gear up for a good corner kick ;)
    She is, though, immensely social, so if you had any Stanford/Pangborn events, my guess is that she was one of the more high energy ones up there... Her brother, Navy ROTC boy, is going to have his hands full :)
  • jvon2432jvon2432 Posts: 473Registered User Member
    haha ROTC boys don't scare me
  • IrishcaliIrishcali Posts: 297Registered User Junior Member
    Jvon, my daughter is in Welsh Fam and I think they had a little party with you guys yesterday. Actually she went over for the party (doesn't like to miss any of that!) while we finished putting together her cabinet in her dorm. (We seemed to do a lot of "putting together" while she was out at the various mixers!!! which was totally fine!) All of a sudden we were ready to leave and she wasn't there! It actually made for a good little laugh at a somewhat sad moment! She showed up to say goodbye and we truly felt good about sending her off. She is incredibly happy to be there and told us that she just knows she loves her school. What more could we ask? It was tough to arrive home and see her empty (actually not really empty enough) room and know that she was away. And, we had many bittersweet moments, but to echo dd, it is a great place, and we are so blessed to know she is in good hands, with good people for her next phase of life.

Oh, and she text messaged me a bit ago to say that they were in line for their football tickets! What fun!
    Trust me, my daughter can be scarier than the ROTC son... Perhaps a common trait of the 18 year-old female? :)
  • MombotMombot Posts: 940Registered User Member
    Just got back..what an amazing weekend. I cried off and on throughout the Mass, but lost it when they sang the alma mater at the end.
    I lost it so many times I can't even count them. Still losing it today... In ways, it was harder to walk away from two of them there, rather than just one of them. They were together when we left; I saw them walking away down the quad, brother and sister together as I have seen them for so many years. And I'm sure my son was busy telling my daughter how "mom always cries when she says goodbye, but she'll get over it." It's cool to have them there for each other, but 40% of the family away leaves a heavy load on my heart...

Then again, I always have sucked at goodbyes...
    By the way, Dan, it appears Jvon isn't scared by Navy ROTC boys ;)

I hope my son was civil and nice...
    Well, you obviously haven't met any, and if he isn't scared of NROTC boys, then maybe your son can get the Gunnery Sergeant to give him a hand. That man can bring the wrath of God down on someone. ddjones, I'm pretty sure that your son issued me my gear and treated my blisters all week.
    And was he civil and nice?
    Yeah, actually he was one of the only ones.