Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

ND Chances Please

Volunteers9Volunteers9 Posts: 26Registered User New Member
edited August 2009 in University of Notre Dame
Well another chance thread so any advice would help.

ACT: 31 and retaking after prep class in October
GPA: 3.8 UW and 4.1 W
School: top catholic school in Tennessee that has sent 5 to ND last year. also named in the top 50 Catholic schools in America
Sports: All-Region in varsity basketball for 3 years, All-District in varsity baseball 3 years and also play in the summer-both sports
EC: Vice-President of NHS, Mu Alpha Theta, many school related clubs, etc...
Service: have gotten over 30 hours of service all throughout high school and involved in the Salvation Army
Job: Summer job 3 days a week
Recs: can get pretty nice recs
Essay: seems pretty good

Well here is mostly what I got so any chancing could help me bigtime....Thanks a lot.
Post edited by Volunteers9 on

Replies to: ND Chances Please

• collegebound1414collegebound1414 Posts: 169Registered User Junior Member
    u'd have better luck in the CHANCES thread.

but...not a good shot. act scores are like 25-50% gpa doesnt help too much...not many honors/AP.

random catholic school rankings dont matter(if you decide to post in the chances thread)

a class rank would help. and distribution of gpa helps a lot(not many people have this tho).
  • Volunteers9Volunteers9 Posts: 26Registered User New Member
    Ok where is the CHANCES thread and actually I have 5 AP classes and 12 honors classes and my school doesn't offer that many and my school does not rank.
  • calliebug1calliebug1 Posts: 2Registered User New Member
    I am the mom of a current ND freshman - also from Tennessee, also a Catholic school grad(FRHS in Nashville). I think the real key for you is getting that ACT score to a 33 if you can do it. I believe the average ACT for the class of 2013 was 32.6 and I expect it to be even higher for the class of 2014. Since you are taking a prep class and retaking the ACT, that's a great next step. Have you met the ND admissions rep for TN yet - is she coming to your school this fall? If not, she will be doing a presentation in the theater at FRHS at 6:30 p.m. CST on Sept. 29th and it's open to anyone who is interested(more info on the ND admissions website about that). I know that's a school night and a long drive from Knoxville, but just wanted to mention it. Meeting her and having her put a name with a face is helpful. They really like passion at ND - passion for sports, passion for the arts, passion for your faith, etc. - so show as much passion in our essay as you can. I think if you can get that ACT score up, you have a good chance.
  • Volunteers9Volunteers9 Posts: 26Registered User New Member
    OK thanks, I will definately try to contact her and see her but I'm not sure if she will be coming to Knoxville or not and yes my goal was a 32 which I think I can do but I'm going to try my best and see what happens. And I will try and show as much passion as I can because I would love nothing more than to attend ND. Thanks