Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

UPenn Special Sciences Program/Post Bac Premed Program - Questions

beth_w737beth_w737 Posts: 31Registered User Junior Member
edited February 2006 in University of Pennsylvania
Hi,

I recently graduated from a very good public university, with a good GPA (over 3.5) I'm applying to UPenn's Special Sciences/Post-Baccalaureate Pre-Medical Program, to finish the pre-reqs for med school, which I didn't have time for as an undergrad. I just got invited for an interview. Is anyone familiar with the program who can tell me more about it? My email is Beth_W@ix.netcom.com Thank you

Sincerely,
Beth
Post edited by beth_w737 on

Replies to: UPenn Special Sciences Program/Post Bac Premed Program - Questions

• konokono Posts: 198Registered User Junior Member
    I am not familiar with this specific program, but I think that it is through the College of General Studies. These progams differ in terms of length, but it is likely that this program is only one year. The main difference in this, vs other similar programs is if you are allowed to apply to med school pending the completion of this program and taking the MCAT. In other words, do you have to complete this program and take the MCAT and sit out for another year or do they have a system of applying to med school as you enter this program. Lastly, these programs are typically very expensive. I know Columbia also has a program.
  • hazmathazmat Posts: 8,435User Awaiting Email Confirmation Senior Member
    if you are allowed to apply to med school pending the completion of this program and taking the MCAT

and does Penn prefer their own? Is this really a pay for play.......at any school?
    Many people feel that penn likes their own students. If you are a penn undergrad you can sometimes submatiriculate into a grad school program (cut off your senior year and get the degree one year into the grad program) and any undergrad can take like 5 grad school classes that also work towards the undergrad degree. Do well (and remember that Penn is a grade inflation school) and you should do fine. There is also a general opinion that grads of ivy schools are favored at other ivy schools.
  • hazmathazmat Posts: 8,435User Awaiting Email Confirmation Senior Member
    Do well (and remember that Penn is a grade inflation school) and you should do fine.

and you know this how??
    Doing well at most Ivy league schools is a good bet to moving on to grad school. Upenn is known as a grade inflation school (see gradeinflation website or other posts on average GPA's). If I was looking at this program, I would want to see the results of the students who finished.