Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Is the Penn Visit worth to attend?

Replies to: Is the Penn Visit worth to attend?

• XCchicXCchic Registered User Posts: 23 New Member
    Definitely visit the school. It could be very beneficial to your decision on going there. Sure you could talk about how great it is but you never really know what it is like till you go on the campus and get a real feel for it.
  • smallfishbigpondsmallfishbigpond Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    I'll tell you honestly and truly: No. It makes you feel important, you make contacts and you can be very rich. But it's not a place to learn, grow and change as a person. You'd do MUCH better going to Brown if you are an interesting human being. Penn is racial segregated, people are hyper-preprofessional, if you are mildly unique then people castigate you as a hipster, the school is way too big, and the people are very, very dumb. Never thought I'd go to an Ivy League where people know so little about the world. But hey they're great at taking tests, they are rich and have contacts, and they are good at math/business/networking. But that's just my take.

Go to Brown. I regret not transferring, but I'm working now and will be applying to go to grad school there in a couple of years.
  • PsychoDad10PsychoDad10 Registered User Posts: 1,190 Senior Member
    ^smallfish- but at least UPenn has Pari Cafe Creperie- that place had some pretty awesome crepes!
  • MadaboutxMadaboutx Registered User Posts: 1,592 Senior Member
    ^Smallfish - it is good to know that real people go to Penn. Not pretenders.
  • 45 Percenter45 Percenter Registered User Posts: 4,270 Senior Member
    I'll tell you honestly and truly: No. It makes you feel important, you make contacts and you can be very rich. But it's not a place to learn, grow and change as a person. You'd do MUCH better going to Brown if you are an interesting human being. Penn is racial segregated, people are hyper-preprofessional, if you are mildly unique then people castigate you as a hipster, the school is way too big, and the people are very, very dumb. Never thought I'd go to an Ivy League where people know so little about the world. But hey they're great at taking tests, they are rich and have contacts, and they are good at math/business/networking. But that's just my take.

Go to Brown. I regret not transferring, but I'm working now and will be applying to go to grad school there in a couple of years.
    That's a lot of gross generalizations for a school with 10,000 undergrads (of whom almost 50% are on financial aid), many top-10 and top-20 liberal arts departments and programs, unsurpassed undergraduate research opportunities, and an abundance of cultural and intellectual extracurricular activities and organizations with something interesting happening on campus virtually every day or night of the week. Not to mention the amazing array of cultural assets and events in University City and nearby Center City.

Assuming that you really did go to Penn, did you ever attend any of the nightly literary events at the Kelly Writers House? Check out a Philomathean Society event? Participate in or attend any of the productions of Penn's dozens (literally) of student theater and performing arts groups? Attend a Penn Humanities Forum event? Attend any of the other numerous cultural events or guest lectures on campus? Did you hang out with any of the hundreds of English, History, Anthropology, Philosophy, Sociology, Physics and Astronomy, Classical Studies, International Relations, Communication, Urban Studies, or Cinema Studies majors in the College (just to name a few of the fields with 10 or more majors in each class of the College), or did you ever discuss any of those areas with those majors?

Sorry, but your hyperbolic stereotyping is over the top and, quite frankly, lacking in credibility.
  • cecilturtlececilturtle Registered User Posts: 197 Junior Member
    45 Percenter, I know you get many of these expressions of gratitude.
    We have a D at Penn, Class of 2017, who is so happy there that she has not stopped smiling since arriving for in mid August. Her experience with Corp, her College House and Res Program, work-study, Penn Band, Rugby, Ballet, the food, preceptorials, NSO, University City, classmates, libraries, the archeological museum, food trucks, advisors etc, has been off the charts incredibly positive.
    Thank you so much for defending Penn at every turn, against both unworthy **** posts, and unsubstantiated drivel.
  • centraleaglecentraleagle Registered User Posts: 162 Junior Member
    I second that cecilturtle! I too am the parent of a Class of 2017 student who could not be happier.
    45percenter - we can always count on you!
  • PoemePoeme Registered User Posts: 1,329 Senior Member
    The preprofessional stereotype sometimes feels overwhelming, but it definitely is not as bad in reality. I think it exists on every campus but just happens to be more noticeable at Penn because of Wharton. I hear plenty of kids at schools like Yale and Dartmouth are very preprofessional even though it is not initially as obvious. People for some reason view Brown as having a much more liberal arts focus than Penn, but the people I know who go to Brown (a lot of kids from my graduating class went there) are more or less similar to the average Penn student. Schools like Chicago though may genuinely have less preprofessional students since they have a core curriculum and a unique reputation, but my friend who goes there thinks that the preprofessional presence is growing there as well.

I do agree with smallfish that there is not nearly enough economic diversity as there should be, but this applies for all of the Ivy league and other top schools. There are super rich kids at all of these schools.

As far as the comment about students intelligence, there are definitely people, who when they begin to talk make you question how they were admitted to Penn. However, that's just a result of an imperfect admissions process. I have grown skeptical of college admissions over the years, I think a lot of the information they use to make decisions is questionable at best.
  • mandypandymandypandy Registered User Posts: 631 Member
    I would definitely recommend visiting campus. It's one thing to look at pictures and hear about how amazing it is, but everyone is different. I can say that most people absolutely love Penn's campus, but there are some people that don't care for it. It just depends! You really won't know how you feel about it until you're here.
  • ron4scron4sc Registered User Posts: 19 New Member
    We visited during the summer. We weren't expecting much and were extremely impressed with the campus and the people we met. Someone else mentioned that it is a small college feel in a big city. I agree with that.

I also was happy to learn on the tour about the approximately 120 uniformed security guards that ensure the students are safe 24x7. We saw the phones that dispatch security immediately.

After we left ended the tour and raided the Penn bookstore, we drove about 20 minutes to have lunch at Geno's for philly cheesesteaks. I love the ability to be inside a bubble but be able to enjoy an interesting city if our D desires to do that too.

The other thing you learn from the campus visit is how close the train station is to campus. If you live on the east coast as we do, you can visualize how easy it is for your child can get home for the occasional visit.

Those were impressions we had from a campus visit that we couldn't have learned from just looking at the website.
  • atreenatreen Registered User Posts: 132 Junior Member
    once you get in, it will be worth it to visit. Just to get a feel for the campus environment and Philly. Even though it may be a great school, it may not be a fit for everyone who qualifies. Just check out websites pertaining to the city/local community to get a better idea of what it is like. Philly is a unique city (architecturally (Architecture City Guide: Philadelphia | ArchDaily) and culturally ( www.phillyculture.com/‎, [url]https://www.****/cityrundaily[/url] <- new fashion blog started by friends at UPenn!)
  • ivyparent43ivyparent43 Registered User Posts: 151 Junior Member
    Yes, it's worth the visit...and take what smallfish said earlier in these posts with a very large grain of salt...sounds like a potential **** to me, although I'm sure a very small percentage of students on many college campuses may feel that way.

I'll say that from our DS's perspective, and he's a freshman / class of 2017, he's enjoying Penn very much. He's in a dual degree program within Wharton so (perhaps because of the dual degree part) he's seeing a very diverse side of Penn.

Your college experience is yours to build --- make it as diverse or as segregated as you'd like. There are hundreds of clubs that you can join, covering most aspects of life --- and if there's not a club in one of your areas of interest then you can start one.

Our Whartonite (is that the proper phrase?) is in both a consulting and a foodie club along with a few other clubs too, likes to hang out at Kelly Writers House, and just attended his first poetry slam even though he's never written a poem. That said, I'm sure he's just one of many examples of students not fitting the stereotypical mold that some folks envision.
  • Daddio3Daddio3 Registered User Posts: 624 Member
    DS has visited 7 of his schools and Penn was close to the least useful unless you know someone there already. The tour did not enter any dorms and it was packed with people. The information session was even more packed and very generic. Overnights weren't allowed when we went. And they are very upfront in saying they don't care if you visit. DS did know someone attending, so we ate lunch and saw his dorm, and I set up a meeting with the department head of his department, but overall it wasn't as useful as one would hope after flying cross-country on a budget during the school year. It is nothing against Penn as it is a great school and DS will apply RD, but it was less valuable than other visits he has done.
  • rhandcorhandco Registered User Posts: 4,266 Senior Member
    That's funny, I do alumni interviews for Penn and I was told admissions does care. I always ask if the applicant has seen the campus, and it is a gauge of the interest level.

However, if you are traveling more than two hours, I don't think any school expects you to do an on-campus tour. My son went to the tour in November, and it was relatively generic except that he went on the tour for the college he is interested in as well. They also have a lot of activities on alumni weekend for parents and legacies to check out the Quad etc.

My son also did a BU tour, and it was very similar to Penn except less organized.
  • Daddio3Daddio3 Registered User Posts: 624 Member
    Rhandco -- good information regarding the visit. I'll make sure he mentions the visit in his interview, assuming he gets one.

We flew from the West Coast over spring break, so it may have just seemed like a lot of time, effort, and expense for a crowded general tour (with no dorm or cafeteria visit), a crowded engineering tour (with no classes available to sit in on), and a crowded information session that was quite generic.

Fortunately, we met with a student from son's high school. We ate lunch in one place, and saw his separate dorm and cafeteria. He also had a 30-minute meeting with his department head while I hung out in the lobby and chatted with a grad student TA (for a class in his major) and a couple of undergrads in his major. It was this last part that was really worthwhile.
This discussion has been closed.