Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We've just launched our new college search tool at http://www.collegeconfidential.com/schools. Use this form to provide feedback as we continue to work toward a more robust solution to best meet your needs.

ED Class of 2022- Discussion

Replies to: ED Class of 2022- Discussion

• TACOBOOTACOBOO Registered User Posts: 28 New Member
    @aneeshs17 Same here! Good luck to both of us!
    Future bio or bio basis of behavior (BBB) major!
    Has anyone started the supplements yet?
  • kassh4kassh4 Registered User Posts: 852 Member
    I started a journal where I note down what I can talk about but I haven't done any real writing. I just have one draft of the common app.
  • vegucated26vegucated26 Registered User Posts: 160 Junior Member
    @kassh4 me too. I have been editing and editing my common app, but I'm almost scared to start actually writing the supplements lol
  • aneeshs17aneeshs17 Registered User Posts: 113 Junior Member
    edited July 18
    @kashh4 That's exactly what i'm doing. I basically used the notes app on iPhone during my Penn visit (I was here for a investment competition for HS kids sponsored by Wharton) so we had guest speakers, admissions officers, and tons of other good stuff for us :) whenever I think of a really juicy idea or thought I just throw it in the notebook. I think my main problem though will be organizing it and making connections when I'm writing the essay, rather than a bunch of bullet points.

@vegucated26 really?? Haha I'm more worried about my personal statement. I don't wanna sound like some robotic Asian who's passionate about like solving differential equations all day while perfecting the piano LOL. Supplements are so much better, I get ideas firing off in my head left and right. Like, I have TOO many ideas for my supplement... personal statement I feel like it has to be really narrative and intriguing (sorta like writing a fiction book). Like you can't write about that lame trip to Africa tha made you realize your privelage, or the game winning goal/the big game, or anything super cliche. I feel like the personal statement is more like you're given a blank sheet of paper and you gotta craft a masterpiece, while at least in the supplement you have the tools to make it happen. Idk, just my 2 cents.
  • vegucated26vegucated26 Registered User Posts: 160 Junior Member
    @aneeshs17 Yeah, I get what you mean completely. I guess the supplements just make the idea of college more real haha but the personal statement just feels like an essay I'm writing for fun
    I'm almost done with my supplement, and then I can focus on my common app essay.
    Does everyone here have a 4.0 34+?
    edited July 18
    @kassh4 Nope :(( :((
  • SuperGymnast_04SuperGymnast_04 Registered User Posts: 29 New Member
    @kassh4 hoping I'm not the only one! I'm prepping for the Sept. ACT and its killing me... ;)
  • soccergirl2900soccergirl2900 Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    edited July 21
    @aneeshs17 LITERALLY how did you jump from a 26 to a 30!!? i've been trying to improve my score but i feel like nothing is working :( my scores are the only thing in my app that i don't feel completely solid about
  • WhiteDragonWhiteDragon Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    edited July 23
    @soccergirl2900 what worked for me in preparing for the ACT was this book called the 'black book." If you look around online, there is a pdf version of it somewhere. It's geared towards the old version of the ACT so the essay tips in there won't help, but I found the reading section tips to be extremely helpful in the way I approached the test. Hope that helps!
  • Jcahill18Jcahill18 Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    edited July 24
    @soccergirl2900 @WhiteDragon @aneeshs17 I can attest to the effectiveness of the Black Book by Mike Barrett, both for the ACT and the SAT. It helped move my ACT score from a 27 to a 33 in less than a month; I even have friends who had higher jumps by following it. You can also email the author of the book whenever you have questions/problems. Good luck!!
    i never got all the black book hype. I thought it covered a lot of common sense stuff nothing really helpful.