Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Chances at Penn (Dream School)? Advice?

2»

Replies to: Chances at Penn (Dream School)? Advice?

• ArtemisiusArtemisius Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    Like everyone else has said, your ECs are really great and related to your projected major which shows not only interest and prior experience but a consistent and long term interest. Again, just work on raising your SAT as an added boost to ensure your already pretty good chances. Even if you don't study for the next test a low 1500s score should be in your range of error and people generally do better their second time (though I still recommend studying lol, I went up from 1510 to 1560 in one month with basic online prep). Oh, and thanks for chancing me for Princeton :) Good Luck to you with the college app process!
  • Blazchkowski123Blazchkowski123 Registered User Posts: 35 Junior Member
    You're ECs look good, but your SAT is on the low side for UPenn. Apart from that, you seem to be good if you can improve your scores and write good essays
  • hopperdeeehopperdeee Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    As the others on this thread said your sat is on lower end for Penn. However the valedictorian at my school was accepted into upenn with a sat score below 1500. I would say retake the sat but even if you send in that score your chances aren't awful because of your excellent extracurriculars. Good luck!
  • CoolestAsianCoolestAsian Registered User Posts: 42 Junior Member
    I think you have a very good chance at Penn, especially in engineering. Your grades are very good (could work on SAT score) and you have very good and specialized extra curriculars. Penn engineering is not as difficult as Wharton, and with your stats you should have no problem getting in (try raising you sat to above 1540 to be sure though).

• Harpguy2022Harpguy2022 Registered User Posts: 83 Junior Member
    Killer! Wow, the only thing I'd worry about is it seems that you have like 40 projects going all at once and that can seem impossible to do all of them well. But other than that you'll be fine (your scores are fine btw- no need to retake!)

Curious-why Penn?? Why not MIT or Caltech where their engineering is better known?
  • collegeboundprogrammercollegeboundprogrammer Registered User Posts: 137 Junior Member
    @Harpguy2022 I've been told that being good at computer science is great and all, but most employers appreciate programmers who have a firm grasp on business.

So the benefits for me:
    - Penn's #1 in the nation in business
    - Top ten in computer science
    - Ivy league schools are great in all majors, which means I get to have experience with a variety of people who are passionate about different majors.
    - Lots of graduate students who are leaders in their field to network with / learn from
  • lynevenalulynevenalu Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    Updates on SAT scores? Amazing work :)
  • collegeboundprogrammercollegeboundprogrammer Registered User Posts: 137 Junior Member
    @lynevenalu I got a 780 in Math II, and a 720 in Physics. I know I could do better in Math II, since I didn't study at all for that (spent like two weeks studying for physics since I only took AP Physics 1 and you need to know AP Physics 2).

I also plan on retaking the SAT to get an 800 on the math section. I have been getting close to perfect for math on my practice tests. All of the schools that I am applying to super score, so I could end up with a 1550 super scored SAT if I get that 800.
  • ShrutiSapphireShrutiSapphire Registered User Posts: 48 Junior Member
    You have a really great profile. I think that if you get your SAT score up this August, you have a really good chance of getting in. You ECs are great.
2»