Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Important Question

CaptainFalcon89CaptainFalcon89 Posts: 50Registered User Junior Member
edited November 2006 in University of Pennsylvania
Should we send Penn a resume?
Post edited by CaptainFalcon89 on

Replies to: Important Question

• bernardolwbernardolw Posts: 457Registered User Member
    Resumes are for jobs... college isnt a job.
  • PyarPyar Posts: 1,653Registered User Senior Member
    yes, i think if you have extra stuff that doesnt fit or something send a resume. make sure you write on the additional info space that you send a resume too just to be safe
  • Venkat89Venkat89 Posts: 7,327Registered User Senior Member
    Here is some problems with sending in a resume.
    1. If your resume is longer than the adcom's, it looks bad
    2. If it starts to look like a laundry list (6 most important ECs on app) then it can't help

However, if you have a bunch of other important things, then add them in a resume.
  • rohan2k6rohan2k6 Posts: 199Registered User Junior Member
    if you think it adds additional, helpful information and degrees to your application file, then go for it. Do keep it within one page (SERIOUSLY)!

HOWEVER, there are guys at my hs sending in 8 page resumes that contain some of the most worthless, irrelevant information that make them look extremely pretentious. Anything over 2 pages I think is redundant and more length incurs more skepticism on the part of the adcom
  • chaoticchaotic Posts: 388Registered User Member
    I sent a 1-page curriculum vitae.
  • Penn_dreamerPenn_dreamer Posts: 653Registered User Member
    Is two and a half pages too long?
  • chaoticchaotic Posts: 388Registered User Member
    It's a bit on the lengthy side.. remember that the admissions officer is attempting to summarize everything for the committee decision.
  • rohan2k6rohan2k6 Posts: 199Registered User Junior Member
    in the professional world its a universal standard to limit the resume to one page.
    Rohan's right... it shouldnt be more than 1 page.

I didnt submit an resume but an activity list explanation. Because Im from Mexico all the activities' names are in spanish so I did the chart again in Word with explanations of what the activities mean and what I did in them... it was like 2 p and a half long, but really spacy.
    ^ do you think it's too long? unnecesary?
  • DionysusDionysus Posts: 470Registered User Member
    It doesn't matter.... as long as you don't drone on about the same thing (and unrelated crap at that), then you should be fine

Don't listen to the "experts" here... they are probably just not accomplished enough to fill two and half pages on an activity sheet
  • Canadia1Canadia1 Posts: 518Registered User Member
    ok then...
    well uhh I have three pages. one page is just on violin related accomplishments and competitions I've won.
  • yourworldyourworld Posts: 759- Member
    in the professional world its a universal standard to limit the resume to one page.
    Not sure. Some employers want a detailed list to match skillsets. Unless you are applying for an entry level position, single page can't convey the information needed.