Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Who at CC is applying to Penn?

Replies to: Who at CC is applying to Penn?

• akacesfanakacesfan Registered User Posts: 624 Member
    I just submitted my RD app for CAS! Here we go...
  • jemster1996jemster1996 Registered User Posts: 18 New Member
    ED: Wharton vs Columbia

Hi there!

I'm an international student applying in the 2015/2016 cycle. If you're curious about my stats, I would say that my overall portfolio would put me in decent stead to try for the ivy leagues but they will definitely still be "reaches" for me, especially considering the fact that I am an international student.

I intend to study major in Economics at university and hopefully go into finance/banking if possible. I recognize that in accordance with that Wharton should be the dream school. However, I really love New York City and going to Columbia would help me to taste a wider variety of subjects.

My questions are:

1) Which schools have lower admission rates for ED (i.e. which is harder to get into)? Although the ED rates for UPenn and Columbia are available online, they do not specify the admission rate of Wharton specifically. Could anyone comment on this please (I'm not from the US so I don't have sufficient knowledge/exposure to infer).

However: I'm assuming Wharton should be HYSPM-level hard to get into, making it harder to ED into than Columbia?

2) Does Wharton really give you a lot more opportunities banking/finance wise than Columbia?

Thanks so much!
  • PennGirl29PennGirl29 Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    @jemster1996 I can't speak for Columbia, but for UPenn (I'm currently studying there) ED acceptance rates are MUCH higher, upto 25% as compared to RD's 10%. Penn has mentioned on various occasions that they prefer ED applicants, and they take up as much as a quarter of their entire batch during ED. If you want to apply to Wharton go for ED, also, Penn selected a surprising number of deferred candidates this year, so there are multiple chances. And yes, Wharton is the no 1 undergrad business school, it definitely gives you a lot more oppurtunities. Wharton has major connections, it's like the business worlds MIT. :)
  • SharecenturySharecentury Registered User Posts: 315 Member
    Hey PennGiRL29, could I get your skype on private message so I could ask some questions about Penn?
  • anon9362anon9362 Registered User Posts: 586 Member
    edited December 2015
    whoops my bad this thread is old
  • marginallyadeptmarginallyadept Registered User Posts: 31 Junior Member
    I'm new to the site, and I'm not sure where to post this, can you "chance me"?
    I am painfully aware of a very average GPA, that is actually closer to 3.7. I speculate that I can raise my SAT score to 2300+ and am confident in a 35 on the SAT. I am apprehensive because I spent a lot of my time focusing on extracurriculars and it has taken a toll on my GPA. I go to a very challenging private high school (consistently 2nd in the nation according to polls) which only adds .25 per AP class on a 100 point scale. I am very apprehensive about the admissions process as there is much pressure by my parents to get into a top-class university. Any help is appreciated! Thank you!

Statistics:
    Year: Junior
    SAT I: 2290 (Math: 750; Reading: 750; Writing: 780)
    ACT: Expected score of 35 (judging by ACT PLAN scores)
    SAT II: Bio-M (800); Math II (800); Physics (770)
    Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 3.8
    AP (place score in parenthesis): Bio (5); Environmental (5); APUSH (5); AP English (5); AP European (5); AP World (5);

Major Awards (USAMO, Intel, etc.):
    1st Grand Award (EV): Intel International Science and Engineering Fair
    3rd Award I-SWEEEP
    MUN Distinguished Delegate
    Permanent Collection Artist

Subjective

Extracurriculars (see above for awards):
    United States World Team Pentathlete:
    Top three finish at Nationals, Poor performance at World Championships

B Rank Fencer- In touch with Ivy Coaches, Potential (A) rank
    1st Team All-State Varsity Soccer
    Captain and co-founder of Varsity Baseball team.

Job/Work Experience: (paid)
    400 Hours Paid Intern Work at a private Biotechnology Institution

Volunteer Work
    200 Hours Community Service (Camp Camp/ Assorted)

Essays (rating 1-10, details):
    I felt confident with Common App Essay, most likely a 9 as writing is my strong suit.

Recommendations (rating 1-10, details):
    Teacher #1 7/10: AP Biology teacher, I got a good grade but didn't have a personal connection with her.
    Teacher #2 9/10: Tenured English Teacher, exceptional letter (I peeked at it whoops)
    Optional Rec: 9/10: Chief Scientific Officer of aforementioned Biotechnology Company
    Counselor: 7/10: Described me as an awesome student, one of the best in her career and I hung out in her office a lot so we knew each other pretty well. Mentioned that I took every AP class available excluding language and art classes and took Calc 3 and linear algebra in 11th

Other
    Applied for Financial Aid?: No
    Intended Major: Biology
    Intended Grad Program: Law School
    State (if domestic applicant): TX
    Country (if international applicant):
    School Type: Private: 32 Student Graduating Class
    Ethnicity: Caucasian/Asian
    Income Bracket: ~ 80k
    Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): None

If you are wondering why Biology and Law School (an odd combination), I was projecting a career as an IP Attorney.

Thanks Again!
    -Apprehensive Student
  • SylvRsrSylvRsr Registered User Posts: 664 Member
    edited December 2015
    @marginallyadept I would start a new thread for a Chance Me :) I would be happy to chance you there if you @ me
  • QuakerLover132QuakerLover132 Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    If you're from a small state, you should definitely check this out: http://www.thedp.com/article/2016/01/admissions-office-diversity

The Daily Pennsylvanian (Penn's newspaper) met with Penn's president, and she talked a lot about how the accepted students are coming from more and more parts of the country.
  • MALABARCOAST2014MALABARCOAST2014 Registered User Posts: 149 Junior Member
    Hi all,
    Just had a quick question. Suppose you apply to M&T in addition to Penn Engineering ED. Now let's assume that this hypothetical applicant was admitted to the School of Engineering but did not receive admission to M&T. Is this admission still binding, or would the applicant be permitted to apply elsewhere RD?
  • tenderptenderp Registered User Posts: 56 Junior Member
    edited April 2016
    @MALABARCOAST2014 The admission would still be binding.
  • MALABARCOAST2014MALABARCOAST2014 Registered User Posts: 149 Junior Member
    @tenderp What do you think about Penn bioengineering vs Princeton bioengineering. How important is accreditation
  • tenderptenderp Registered User Posts: 56 Junior Member
    edited April 2016
    @MALABARCOAST2014 That I can't answer as I don't know too much about either's bioengineering program, haha. Hopefully someone else has insight!
  • WhartonPenn2017WhartonPenn2017 Registered User Posts: 188 Junior Member
    @MALABARCOAST2014 Regarding the admission to SEAS but not M&T in the ED round, you can decide in advance how you want to handle that situation. You can tell admissions when you apply (on the app) that you don't want to be considered for SEAS in ED and only M&T if that's what you want.
  • Joshwither016Joshwither016 Registered User Posts: 30 Junior Member
    can you get rejected from Wharton undergrad but accepted to U Penn?