Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Current Wharton Student - feel free to ask questions

atvqueenatvqueen Posts: 13Registered User New Member
Hey. I'm a current wharton student, and thought I'd see if anyone had any questions.
Post edited by atvqueen on

Replies to: Current Wharton Student - feel free to ask questions

• wharton4lifewharton4life Posts: 126Registered User Junior Member
    If I place out math104, would you recommend taking math114, or no math at all? Primarily, is math114 relevant/useful for wharton courses or a financial career in general?
  • megaman123megaman123 Posts: 2,189Registered User Senior Member
    I'd say take 114, it won't hurt. It will surely prepare you for intense quant finance courses that you might want to take at some point. PLus, it's an interesting course.
  • Cheese_itzCheese_itz Posts: 66Registered User Junior Member
    Take 114, even though you'll never use any of it in wharton classes. The more math you do, the easier wharton "quant" classes will seem to you as you go through the system.
  • shadowxshadowx Posts: 176Registered User Junior Member
    how common is it for a wharton student to be premed?
    how hard is it to find an internship during freshman year or during the summer after freshman year?
  • ILOVEWHARTONILOVEWHARTON Posts: 63Registered User Junior Member
    Are Wharton students cutthroat? Also how hard is it to dual degree in four years?
    Ilovewharton- Some are, some are insanely chill. It all depends. Dual degree... I opted not to apply for it, even though I was initially interested. It is just too much work fulfilling reqs. for two schools. I decided to stick with CAS and do math and econ.
  • tenebrousfiretenebrousfire Posts: 2,531Registered User Senior Member
    rather uncommon for whartonites to be premed
  • legendofmaxlegendofmax Posts: 4,732Registered User Senior Member
    there are a few, one of them that i know is also M&T
  • berkshireberkshire Posts: 53Registered User Junior Member
    Do AP exams (without the courses) help in admissions?
  • llpitchllpitch Posts: 4,318Registered User Senior Member
    You mean self studying AP subjects?
  • moizuhkmoizuhk Posts: 397Registered User Member
    Can you do something like a dual degree in Actuarial Science and Finance and get a good GPA (3.5+)? I hear that Actuarial Science is one of the hardest course in Wharton and it significantly pushes down your GPA. Is that right?
  • berkshireberkshire Posts: 53Registered User Junior Member
    Yup, self studying APs. Does it actually count for admission? Or is it only for credit?
    moizuhk- that would be a double concentration, not a dual degree (dual degree means receiving two different diplomas from two different schools within Penn, whereas a double concentration receives just one diploma). It is definitely possible.
  • Runners2Runners2 Posts: 308Registered User Junior Member
    How hard is it to be accepted into Wharton as a dual degree student admitted in another program - e.g. what kind of gpa is required?
    Last year's cut off I think was somewhere around 3.7. Check it out on the wharton site, they have a little chart with the cut off GPA for past years.