Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Taking the SAT 3 times

deeboggledeeboggle Posts: 52Registered User Junior Member
edited October 2008 in University of Pennsylvania
I took the SAT's for a third time today. My last two tests were in Dec and Jan. I planned to study over the summer but didn't really get a chance to do so. But since I had already signed up, I decided to just go for it and try not to make stupid mistakes.

However, I know I made foolish mistakes. I probably got -2 in Math; I got 760 last two times. I got at least two SC questions wrong but I think I did well on the passages, but still probably got about the same as last time around -5. I think my writing score improved a lot though. I got a 680 :( last time, but I think I can get a 780 this time.

How will colleges and in particular UPenn view taking SAT's 3 times? I might just cancel my score because I don't think my math or CR improved at all. I don't know if its worth keeping for the writing. Is taking the SAT 3 time ok or too much. Also, do I have to write on my common app, my scores from all 3 sittings?
Post edited by deeboggle on

Replies to: Taking the SAT 3 times

• moizuhkmoizuhk Posts: 397Registered User Member
    Its no problem; I gave it thrice and I got in and I know a person who gave it four times and got in!

Best of luck!
  • morewafflesmorewaffles Posts: 166Registered User Junior Member
    ya i don't think it's a problem at all, especially because you improved with the other sections! I did really well on math and writing last time, so i didnt pay as much attention to them saturday (definitely lowered the scores for those sections) and focused on reading =)
  • chickenfootchickenfoot Posts: 18Registered User New Member
    As long as you consistently improve, taking any number of times doesn't matter ;)
    My counselor told me that back in his old school, kids there would take the SAT I every time possible... some took it 8 times!
  • wayward_trojanwayward_trojan Posts: 1,301Registered User Senior Member
    Unless you're planning to improve by 100 points or more, I would advise against it for two reasons. Firstly, it's statistically unlikely you'll improve by that much on a third try. Secondly, you are investing time into it that could be invested elsewhere on your application. What's your composite score?
  • deeboggledeeboggle Posts: 52Registered User Junior Member
    I already took my test yesterday. I didn't really study over the summer, but I felt that I could perform better. My question now is whether I should keep the score or cancel it.

I got a 2180 last time I took it. M-760, CR-740, W-680. My Math and Reading were the same as first time, but my writing score improved by a lot because I messed up on the circling for the writing. This time, I feel like I got very similar scores in both math and CR. Maybe + 30 in reading, but same for math (extremely stupid mistakes :( .) However, I felt that my writing portion should be at least + 80. I just don't know if its worth keeping this score just for the writing. My question is how much UPenn values the writing score vs. how they view taking SAT I three times. I'm just debating if I should keep or cancel my scores.

Thanks for those who have replied.
  • BescrazeBescraze Posts: 869Registered User Member
    keep the score, three times is the max that it is ok to take the test. Any point past that looks bad.