Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

UPenn Premed

shahdinshahdin Posts: 2,180- Senior Member
What is the best major for premed students, meaning the easiest major that for the highest possible gpa and completing medical school requirements.
Post edited by shahdin on

Replies to: UPenn Premed

• Rtgrove123Rtgrove123 Posts: 1,798Registered User Senior Member
    I hear Biological Basis of Behavior is an extremely popular premed major.
  • star_drstar_dr Posts: 10Registered User New Member
    ^^agreed.. i've heard the same
  • shahdinshahdin Posts: 2,180- Senior Member
    Anyone else? Is it the easiest?
  • CDN_dancerCDN_dancer Posts: 2,579Registered User Senior Member
    Any science-y major (BBB and bio for instance) will have a lot of overlap with pre-med requirements (and hence, usually be overpopulated with premeds). In terms of ease for GPA, it's going to depend on your own strengths. Some people might find an English major easy, others find Bio easy, etc.
    Also out of the schools CAS etc. which one would I apply to for biology? Which one would be the best option for trying to get in early decision?
    Bio would be CAS. Bioengineering would be SEAS.
    What about "M&T" and Huntsman? What are those?
    M&T = Management and Technology, which is a joint degree program between Wharton and SEAS. You graduate with degrees from both schools.

Huntsman is with Wharton and CAS, and is geared towards people interested in international relations, international business, that sort of thing.
    Huntsman= almost impossible for any premed student to take part in...I mean you'd basically need to get your two hunstman degrees and then a bio degree

M&T= COMPLETE HELL FOR PREMED...engineering and wharton are sorta grade deflated..throw on top of that premed recs and your basically done
    but i heard CAS is one of the hardest to get into?
  • necrophiliacnecrophiliac Posts: 1,061Registered User Senior Member
    it's wharton > cas > seas > nursing

If you're a genuine, strong, interesting candidate, cas isn't a stretch of the imagination.
    Can I do premed with SEAS?
    officially..yes you can. Remember, though, that the average GPA in the SEAS is like a 2.8. Most people seem to think you need a 3.5+ to be competitive for any given med school.
    So CAS is the best option for pre-med right because of the higher gpa factor?
    ^^
    Well, majors and their difficulties vary widely in the CAS, but for premed it is prbly your best bet.