Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

How long does it take to get from the Pittsburgh airport to the Univ of Pittsburgh?

dstarkdstark Posts: 27,684Registered User Senior Member
edited February 2007 in University of Pittsburgh
I'm feeling lazy. I'm sure the info is floating around, but how long does it take?
Post edited by dstark on

Replies to: How long does it take to get from the Pittsburgh airport to the Univ of Pittsburgh?

• mkm56mkm56 Posts: 3,062Registered User Senior Member
    guess I was bored--according to mapquest, it's about 20 miles, allow 30 minutes.
  • NeonzeusNeonzeus Posts: 1,229Registered User Senior Member
    It really, really depends on the time of day. It takes about 25-35 minutes if there isn't traffic to get from the airport to downtown. It's a straight shot, but you do go through a tunnel (it's amazing...you come out of the tunnel and there's the City across a river...just beautiful). Right after coming through the tunnel, you bear right to pick up the highway that takes you out to Oakland. That's probably another 20 minutes or so. You'll pass Duquesne University on your left and a high-rise prison on your right (huge billboard of the Abercrombie shirtless guy facing the prison...)

The trip can therefore take anywhere from 45 minutes to much, much longer during rush hours. Start counting bridges as you drive along the river out to Oakland -- I read years ago that Pittsburgh has the most bridges of any City, due to the three rivers. If you're arriving during a rush hour, plan on sampling the local radio channels for awhile since it can then take closer to an hour for each part of the trip. I lived in NY for years though, and Pgh traffic isn't nearly as bad.

Mapquest seriously underestimated the trip. The old airport was closer to the city, which might partially explain the difference. And watch out -- the trip from the airport to the City is a speed trap.
  • dstarkdstark Posts: 27,684Registered User Senior Member
  • mercymommercymom Posts: 1,249Registered User Member
    I assume you're flying in and renting a car. Unless you really need the car for other things, and assuming you're staying at a hotel close to campus like the Holiday Inn Select or the Wyndham, another option is to not rent the car and take the Airport Flyer bus that costs $2.50 each way. It takes about an hour to the hotels mentioned and saves you all that traffic aggravation.
    Mercymom, thanks for the suggestion.
  • chrisdchrisd Posts: 497Registered User Member
    Another benefit of taking the Flyer bus is. . . you don't have to find parking in Oakland!
  • LurkNessMonsterLurkNessMonster Posts: 2,015Registered User Senior Member
    I think we will take the bus. Thanks for the info! We're flying in March.
    Just make sure you check with your hotel that they are w/in walking distance of the bus stop. Once the airport bus leaves downtown and starts heading for Oakland, it tends to either go down Fifth and return on Forbes or vice versa. It goes through the Pitt campus to the end of the CMU campus next door, then loops around and returns to downtown and the airport. It is pick up only in one direction and drop off only in the other.

When we went up for Parents Weekend in October we stayed at the Wyndham and on arriving the bus let us off at the corner where the hotel is and we walked about 10 feet to the door of the hotel. On leaving we had to walk a block away to the bus stop where they picked you up in the other direction.

If you call your hotel they can tell you how to do this for their location. For the hotels in Shadyside, I don't know how convenient this is as we've never stayed there. Just Wyndham and Holiday Inn so far for us. Good luck! Hope it stops snowing before you get there. I think Pitt had a "snow day" yesterday!
  • Goaliegurl89Goaliegurl89 Posts: 4Registered User New Member
    This is kind of related to the thread but does anyone know of a good hotel to stay in while visiting pitt for the weekend in March for one of the days for admitted students...My mother and I are visiting pitt for the first time and want to pick the perfect hotel to really get the pittsburgh experience and thats not to far from the campus....also were looking for higher end or nicer hotels with lots of amenities and things nearby as my mother and I are what the industry calls "Hotel Nazi's" in a sense...Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...
    Goaliegurl89, I don't, but congratulations on getting into Pitt.
    We have stayed at both the Holiday Inn Select (next door to the admissions office, which is across the street from the Cathedral) and at the Wyndham, which is a few blocks down Forbes Ave (?) in the opposite direction, but still an easy walk.

If you want something really ritzy, there is a hotel downtown called the Renaissance that is a block from where the symphony plays. We went down to look at it as a friend stays there when she is visiting her D at Point Park. The Renaissance is pricey though, and not really convenient to the Pitt campus.
    By not convenient, I mean you certainly can't walk to Pitt, but I guess if you want the Pittsburgh experience of taking the bus everywhere, then you might enjoy the Renaissance (I think the full name is Renaissance Pittsburgh). It is extremely plush, and even a hotel nazi would be hard pressed to find fault with it.

I'd have to find my guidebook, but I do believe the Renaissance is a Pittsburgh landmark, a really old hotel that was renovated during the downtown revitalization. It's lobby is to die for. Grand staircase, filigree, stained glass, chandeliers. There is a fabulous bar (for your mom of course) with a huge old ornate wood, uh, bar, and an elaborate steak restaurant (expensive). It's in the arts district. Walking around downtown will show you a more complete picture of the city.