Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

How many students in freshman class? If accepted -where else did you apply?

crabbyladycrabbylady Posts: 302Registered User Junior Member
edited April 2006 in University of Rochester
Does anybody know Rochester's admissions stats? How many applied? How many accepted? How many WILL ATTEND?
Post edited by crabbylady on

Replies to: How many students in freshman class? If accepted -where else did you apply?

• njnjnjnjnjnjnjnjnjnjnjnj Posts: 214Registered User Junior Member
    i think there are gping to be about 958 in the class of 2010. I think ehen i visited the guy said like 11k apply.
  • efg88efg88 Posts: 285Registered User Junior Member
    I think Rochester accepts about 48% with 19% choosing to attend.
  • chemaddict17chemaddict17 Posts: 423Registered User Member
    the average class is just over 1000 students.. and they admit about double that
  • efg88efg88 Posts: 285Registered User Junior Member
    They have to admit a lot more than double that if they want to fill the class. Since only around 20% of people choose to attend, they have to admit 5 times the size of the class which would be around 5000 people.
  • hopeful1hopeful1 Posts: 669Registered User Member
    You are correct efg88. With a yield of 20% they need to offer admission to 5x the size of the freshman class. Perhaps this is why they jumped the gun in notifying RD students earlier than anticipated.

20% is an awful yield considering that there are two rounds of ED. They must be attempting to increase the yield which will eventually lead to a decrease in the acceptance rate.

U of R was very high on my list. I really liked the school but still had two schools that I favored more. During my interview, I candidly discussed the yield of U of Rochester and was told that the location was the main reason that applicants considered Rochester a second choice. Put U of R in a more desirable location and the school would be ranked in the top 25, have a higher yield and lower acceptance rate. The extreme winter weather and lack of sun are unfortunate.
  • hysteron proteronhysteron proteron Posts: 316Registered User Junior Member
    I was accepted, and I will attend. I also applied to the University of Minnesota - Twin Cities, SUNY - Geneseo, SUNY - Binghamton, Syracuse, and Wellesley.
  • jsw5044jsw5044 Posts: 39Registered User Junior Member
    I was accepted and I will wait until my financial aid offers to decide if I will attend. Rochester is my top choice right now if I can afford to go. I also applied to BU, Emory, George Washington, Tulane, Penn State, Brandeis, University of Miami, and Ga Tech.
  • chemaddict17chemaddict17 Posts: 423Registered User Member
    allright fine.. i also applied to CMU, Johns Hopkins, BU, UPenn, and got into UIUC on a full ride...
  • AwakienAwakien Posts: 234Registered User Junior Member
    Accepted to U Rochester (RD) + SUNY Albany Honors, SUNY Bing, SUNY Stony

Applied to: Oberlin College, Cornell University, Case Western Reserve University, Brandeis University, SUNY Binghamton, SUNY Stony Brook, SUNY Albany

U Rochester's got a great reputation for being a great school n its one of my top choices but Im really positive yet - i wonder why a school with such a great rep has gotten so much less selective though (wow 5k is alot of acceptances for such a small class)
  • hshteinhshtein Posts: 110Registered User Junior Member
    it hasn't gotten less selective at all
  • sumansuman Posts: 649Registered User Member
    Accepted UR (EDII), also accepted to SUNY Albany and Buffalo, Drew, Rutgers, Drexel, Temple
    Others applied to: UPenn, CMU, JHU, GWU, Ursinus, TCNJ...others i forget
    yeah, it definitely ranks in the "very selective" category by any ranking system including US News.
  • lulubellelulubelle Posts: 222Registered User Junior Member
    I havent heard back from rochester yet, but it is one of my top choices...when do u think ill hear back regular decision? what were all ur stats? im 7 for 7 so far in acceptances, tulane, uiuc, depauw, ithaca, bing....some others...i hope i get in.. :(
  • bluejbluej Posts: 5Registered User New Member
    i havent heard yet either...
    into penn state, tulane, and wisconsin
    deferred from wash u
    still waiting on emory, syracuse, and vanderbilt
  • CA_girlCA_girl Posts: 173Registered User Junior Member
    i was accepted...
    also applying to:
    UCs
    Scripps College (Claremont, CA)
    NYU
    Wisconsin (accepted)
    Lehigh
    Boston University
    Brandeis (W/L)
    etc.
  • mj23mj23 Posts: 77Registered User Junior Member
    Accepted to: University of Rochester, Penn State, Suny Stony Brook, Geneseo.
    Applied to: Harvard, Yale, BU, BC, Brown, NYU, Rensselaer, Penn, Duke, Hopkins, Princeton, Dartmouth, George Washington, Columbia
    Yea my parents made me apply to a lot of schools b/c my cousin was a top student (4.0uw and 1580) but didnt apply to many schools and ending up going to a state school.