Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

USC merit scholarships

g30rg3g30rg3 Posts: 178Registered User Junior Member
How competitive are the merit scholarships at USC? Do you think I'd be eligible for any?

-National Merit Semifinalist at the moment, should go on to be finalist (so I know I'd be eligible for that scholarship)
-should have 34+ ACT when I apply
-class president, beta club president, valedictorian (really really small school though)
-should have 200+ hours of community service
-1st place, state math/science competition for two years in a row (biology)
-also from an underrepresented state I think (MS)

Also do USC scholarships stack?

Thanks in advance for any replies
Post edited by g30rg3 on

Replies to: USC merit scholarships

• SaitsuzenSaitsuzen Posts: 151Registered User Junior Member
    You seem to have the stats and extracurricular activities. If you write great essays and get equally great letters of recommendation, then I would expect you to be a strong candidate for admission (and scholarships if you do get admitted).
    Also do USC scholarships stack?

If you're asking whether or not you can stack the main merit scholarships, such as combining a Presidential Scholarship (half-tuition) with a Trustee Scholarship (full-tuition), then no you can not. You can only get one or the other. But you can be awarded one of the main merit scholarships plus a lesser scholarship, like $1000 from the National Merit Scholarship Corporation.

For more information on scholarships, visit the USC website: USC Financial Aid - Grants & Scholarships - Undergraduate - USC Scholarships
  • itsme123itsme123 Posts: 1,108Registered User Senior Member
    need to know gpa and course load. from what i hear 34 act may not cut it for trustee (35 will work). you'll get ur 1/2 tuition by nms finalist and listing usc as ur first choice.
  • Georgia GirlGeorgia Girl Posts: 3,507Registered User Senior Member
    If you are admitted and do receive the National Merit half tuition scholarship you will also receive a $1000 per year scholarship from the National Merit Foundation. It is necessary to place USC as your first choice to be awarded the $1000 scholarship.

With your qualifications I strongly suggest applying for local scholarships from civic, religious, ethnic or corporations. In the past I have mentioned a student from my state had four local scholarships before entering SC.

Some of the schools such as Viterbi, Annenberg, Marshall and Dornsife have their own scholarships which they MAY add to the National Merit. Some of these are designated for certain subjects or are for leadership.

Last year around 22,000 students applied for the generous merit scholarships from SC. Students with perfect scores, excellent ECs, 4.0 GPAs did not receive a Trustee scholarship. There were many highly qualified students who did not receive them. It is impossible for us to guess who will be selected out of that huge pool.

For the class that will enter in 2012 there will be Mork Scholarships added. It will be at least 20, and possibly more.

If you are admitted and receive the NM Scholarship funds and maintain the scholarship it is worth roughly $50,000. If tuition rises, the scholarship funds rise also.
  • g30rg3g30rg3 Posts: 178Registered User Junior Member
    ^^ok thanks. So if you got the half-tuition national merit scholarship, you couldn't also get a presidential or trustee scholarship?
  • itsme123itsme123 Posts: 1,108Registered User Senior Member
    ^ you can get national merit half-tuition, and be in the running for other scholarships invluding trustee, but can't get both.

georgia girl, is national merit foundation usc thing? National Merit Scholarship Corporation does NOT pay $1000 per year. it's $2500 one time if you are selected to receive, not every finalist gets it.
    Unless something changed this year all recipients of the National Merit Half Tuition Scholarship who select USC as their first choice receive a $1,000 dollar scholarship each year at SC providing they take at least 16 units and maintain the required GPA.

rg3 The Presidential Scholarship is half tuition. The NMScholarship is half tuition. You could not receive a Presidential or Trustee Scholarship in addition to the NMScholarship. As I mentioned there is the possibility of receiving local scholarships and scholarships from particular schools added to the NMScholarship in addition to the $1,000.

Please note chances for the Trustee Scholarships and the new Mork Scholarship will be unbelievably slim. The Trustee is usually awarded to around 130-140 incoming freshmen. That is out of 22,000. Students last year with perfect scores, great ECs and top grades and service did not receive the Trustee. It is not grades and scores alone that are criteria. The selection is holistic.

Incidentally, an applicant does not have to select SC first until after April 1. Seniors will have time to consider other choices before that selection must be made.

Please use the search function to discover the many merit scholarships awarded to incoming freshmen in addition to the Trustee, Presidential, Dean's and NMScholarships. There are others including Town & Gown, ROTC, Associates, Jewish Leadership and many others. About 20+ % of students at SC receive a merit scholarship, although all of these are not full scholarships.
  • MitchKreybenMitchKreyben Posts: 427Registered User Member
    USC is verrrrrrry tight with merit money. I would count on little to none. My D got a very small amount from her major college, but only after discussing it with them directly. None was offered initially from either general admissions, nor the college...and she had dynamite stats....just not good enough.
  • Puzzled88Puzzled88 Posts: 1,098Registered User Senior Member
    "If you are admitted and receive the NM Scholarship funds and maintain the scholarship it is worth roughly $50,000."

If I'm not mistaken, with tuition alone well in excess of $40,000 per year, a NM Scholarship is now worth over $80,000 in four years. My D just graduated after maintaining that scholarship (plus the extra $1000 per year) and we were thrilled with the savings.
    Puzzled,
    You are correct. The sum I typed was too low. The NMScholarship will be worth closer to $90,000 assuming rising tuition costs and the continuation of the NMS Foundation $1,000 per year scholarship.

Thank you for noting the error.