Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

USC Announces $6 Billion Fundraising Campaign

Georgia GirlGeorgia Girl Posts: 3,422Registered User Senior Member
On September 15 the University of Southern California will launch a $6 billion fundraising initiative. It was announced today in Los Angeles.

Highlights will include raising the endowment, more research facilities, continuing the long standing community service programs, a new social sciences building, on campus housing for graduate students, adding to the residential colleges and completing the University Village adjacent to the campus.

The complete article can be accessed on the USC website: University of Southern California .
Post edited by Georgia Girl on

Replies to: USC Announces $6 Billion Fundraising Campaign

• UCBChemEGradUCBChemEGrad Posts: 9,996Registered User Senior Member
    What's the deadline they want to raise $6 billion? All I see is "multi-year"?
    I'm sure this starts the public phase of the campaign and the "quiet phase" included their not so quiet college naming opportunities.
  • ModernManModernMan Posts: 297Registered User Junior Member
    UCB, they want to reach or supass the goal by 2018.

USC to pursue record-breaking donation total - latimes.com
  • Georgia GirlGeorgia Girl Posts: 3,422Registered User Senior Member
    USC received $426 million in donations for the 2010 year. The university was fourth in the nation for fundraising.
    Dr. Nikias announced the University of Southern California had donations of $1.2 billion in the last twelve months.
    It is the start of a new year. The amount I read is now at $1.4 billion.
  • SicilianDefenseSicilianDefense Posts: 67Registered User Junior Member
    It appears that large donations have slowed down dramatically. I do see some smaller $3-10 million gifts. While the lofty $6 billion goal is quite ambitious, I am concern that if USC cannot hit this target, it will reflect negatively on the university.
    I am worried about that as well, Silicon. However I know that there are currently projects that are being in the finalization stage - USC Village, new Marshall School, renovation of Hertiage Hall and Coliseum - but stil,l Nikias does need to maintaine or increase the pace that he started with.
    Sorry for the errors - I just woke up.
    Defense,

Keep in mind SC has until 2018 to make the goal of $6 billion. My guess is the university is not too far from $2 billion with six more years to go. Gifts I recall of $6 million for a stroke clinic, $8 million for a new aquatics center, $10 million for USC libraries, $4 million for a chair of real estate in the Price school, $1 million for undergraduate research at Dornsife, anonymous gift to Keck of $13.3 million, Pullias gift to Rossier of $5 million and $3.2 million for a new chair in Hindu studies do add up to a substantial sum.

As I wrote in another post there are support groups in some of the schools that donate large amounts to the university. One group at Marshall consists of donors who give a minimum of $150,000 per year.

The campaign is still in the early stage. Sometimes it can take months of negotiations to receive an enormous donation. There is still a long time left to achieve the goal.
  • grabbitgrabbit Posts: 176Registered User Junior Member
    I wish I could have 0.01% of that.
  • SicilianDefenseSicilianDefense Posts: 67Registered User Junior Member
    What is this figure at these days? USC has receive a few major, albeit undisclosed, gifts (business & dance) recently and I am curious if anyone has any idea about our fund raising progress.
  • jjalfonso1jjalfonso1 Posts: 139Registered User Junior Member
    $2.22 billion. See campaign.usc.edu
  • xMaSTeRxxMaSTeRx Posts: 14Registered User New Member
    The endowment has to be over 4 billion by now.
  • SeattleTWSeattleTW Posts: 385Registered User Member
    We'll get there my fellow Trojans, have patience. The focus should be on the wealthy parents of USC students and alumni....
    The Campaign for USC has reached another milestone. It was announced the Campaign is now at $2.53 billion. The number of participants so far in the campaign is at 193,920.

Recent gifts have been $1 million to the School of Architecture, an anonymous donation of $1 million to the School of Social Work and a $600,000 donation to the Gill Kidney Cancer Research Program by the Miller Family Foundation.