Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

USC is a joke?

shyguy5shyguy5 Posts: 47. Junior Member
From what I've heard and read, classes at USC are extremely easy and the students there are generally spoiled racist rich kids. Can anyone contest these sentiments?
Post edited by shyguy5 on

Replies to: USC is a joke?

• klklklkl Posts: 24Registered User New Member
    Stop relying on what you hear and educate yourself.
    Otherwise the joke is on you.

Sent from my ADR6300 using CC App
  • shyguy5shyguy5 Posts: 47. Junior Member
    I am trying to educate myself, by addressing these claims with actual USC students.
  • ns89ns89 Posts: 704Registered User Member
    i dont know if youre trolling or not but... i went to usc and i saw a lot of kids from all walks of life, many that needed financial aid, and some that were billionaires.. basically, everyone pretty much got along regardless of who their parents are.. :) as for racism, im sure there is some, but thats pretty much true of any school im sure.. however, considering the fact that people love the football team and it is pretty populated by black students, and that campus is so diverse, most people would probably get over it in 4 years.. also, no, classes are not easy, it depends on what classes you choose to take ofcourse, but many of them have very hard grading and are far from easy..
  • shyguy5shyguy5 Posts: 47. Junior Member
    How are the CS and math courses?
  • alamemomalamemom Posts: 6,384Registered User Senior Member
    shyguy5 wrote:
    I am trying to educate myself,
    Well thank goodness you are beginning to make that effort, because you have a LONG way to go.

Best of luck on your journey of illumination.
  • texaspgtexaspg Posts: 13,637Super Moderator Senior Member
    If you don't apply, it is one less person in competition. So, yes it is a joke, please don't apply.
  • beyphybeyphy Posts: 2,143Registered User Senior Member
    classes at USC are extremely easy

Nope

Despite trend, officials say grade inflation not an issue at USC|Daily Trojan

I also agree that there are racist people at any school. The 'spoiled rich kids" stereotype seems to be outdated though.
  • discussiondiscussion Posts: 220Registered User Junior Member
    USC is ranked 18th in the Daily Beasts' Most Stressful Colleges. We outranked schools like Carnegie Mellon, UC Berkeley, and the University of Notre Dame. From my experiences, USC is not an easy school at all and I have never encountered any 'spoiled racist rich kids'. The economic background of the students are very diverse and the average income of each family is almost equal to that of UCLA's.

2011's Most Stressful Colleges - The Daily Beast
  • HappyBuddhaHappyBuddha Posts: 660Registered User Member
    Discussion makes a solid point. The "grade inflation" is really a by-product of the increasingly qualified admit pool. USC today is not what it was 20 years ago, by far.
  • menloparkmommenloparkmom Posts: 8,223Registered User Senior Member
    "From what I've heard and read, classes at USC are extremely easy and the students there are generally spoiled racist rich kids"
    hahaha!!
    Lets see now, 60% of students are on Financial aid,[ USC has awarded 225 Million dollars in FA to UG students this hear alone] there are more minority students [60% and rising], than white students [40% and shrinking] and 15 % are international students [ and we know how racist all those non-white students are they are, right? ], and there are more NMF's at USC than at any other University, except Harvard and U of Chicago, [and we know those kids are just slackers, right?]

In short, USC has one of the most racially and financially diverse student populations of any top University. And really smart students who need FA or merit scholarships in order to afford to go to college flood USC with applications. Does that sound like a U that caters to rich racist kids? Didn't think so..........
    What were you reading, something from the 80?'s?
    Next time do some homework before asking dumb questions......

http://www.usc.edu/admission/undergraduate/apply/fresh_profiles.html
  • Georgia GirlGeorgia Girl Posts: 3,509Registered User Senior Member
    A recent study indicated the faculty is one of the most diverse as well. Students have been selected by prestigious graduate schools as well as for highly selective fellowships. In the last four years SC has had dozens of Fulbright scholars, four Boren scholars, Rotary Fellowships, Luce, Marshall, Rhodes and last year a Churchill Scholar.

Over 60% of the students are active in community service projects or volunteer groups. SC is the only university that has Topping Scholars. These scholars are student funded, student mentored and the program is partially student administered. Topping Scholars are selected not only for academic promise and financial need, but also have a background in community service.

Freshmen retention is now at 97% which is the same as Dartmouth, Berkeley, Duke, Brown and Johns Hopkins. Student faculty ratio is 9/1.

Faculty have won National Medals, Guggenheim Fellowships, Nobel Prizes, Honda Prize, Pulitzer Prizes, Fellows of the IEEE, Presidential Award, Academy Awards, Fulbright Fellowships, Lifetime Achievement Awards, Pritzer Prizes, Turing Prizes, MacArthur Fellowships and Edward R. Murrow Awards as well as other honors.

Alumni participate in campus life by interviewing, lecturing, providing internships, mentoring and donating large numbers of scholarships. Alumni and others last year donated over $1 billion dollars to the university.
  • commonsense7commonsense7 Posts: 1Registered User New Member
    To menlo park mom.....no wonder people say usc students are stupid...check your math....60 + 40 + 15 does not equal 100!!!
  • bbggbbgg Posts: 496Registered User Member
    The CS major at USC is extremly hard. You may go to one football game and that's it. You will be doing a great deal of self learning in your first year.
  • whybolognawhybologna Posts: 33Registered User New Member
    @commonsense7 menloparkmom did her math correctly. The 60 and 40 percents were the percents of each race (minority and white) at USC, which adds up to 100%. The 15 percent was the percent of students that are international. That is not a race. These students could either be white or minority students and are included in the 60 and 40 percents.
  • vincehvinceh Posts: 2,291Registered User Senior Member
    From what I've heard and read,...

And who are your sources? Other high schools students? Anonymous internet boards?

"Easy" is a subjective measure. What you find difficult others may find child's play. It's virtually impossible for an outsider to define what is 'easy' for you. The average USC enrollee this year had a 3.7 UWGPA and a 2070 SAT; thats who you're competing against.

In today's college world the "average" performer will receive a "B". Unless your numbers are vastly superior to the averages or you have a stronger work ethic you're looking at a 3.0 GPA. Furthermore, it's likely that CS/Math majors will have substantially higher Math scores and therefore those classes will be "harder".