Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Scholarship for Room and Board

NarusakuuNarusakuu Posts: 110Registered User Junior Member
Are there any scholarships for room and board, in addition to the Presidential/Trustee/Dean scholarships for class tuition?
Post edited by Narusakuu on

Replies to: Scholarship for Room and Board

• trojanchick99trojanchick99 Posts: 570Registered User Member
    Other than athletic scholarships, I am not aware of any university scholarships for room/board. Even the alumni club scholarships are tuition specific.

You might want to search out some private scholies.
  • cc411cc411 Posts: 1,724Registered User Senior Member
  • NarusakuuNarusakuu Posts: 110Registered User Junior Member
    Can you combine grants?
  • SequoiaSequoia Posts: 1,651Registered User Senior Member
    trojanchick, my D received a Trojan League scholarship through Alumni Club, that was applied to room and board or other COA because her tuition was covered by the Trustee. USC accepts scholarships (whether USC related or outside) up to $8000 over total tuition cost.
  • NarusakuuNarusakuu Posts: 110Registered User Junior Member
    Cool! But isn't the dorm price like $15,000?
    Narusakuu, the extra scholarships applied to part of the room/board costs, not all of it. It certainly helped.
  • trojanchick99trojanchick99 Posts: 570Registered User Member
    Sequoia that's lucky, because when I was a student with a Trustee, I was unable to obtain an Alumni Club scholarship as they were tuition specific. Also, when I was interviewing a few years back for my Alumni club scholie, we were told they were tuition specific.

I was able to find some outside scholarships including Elks club and NMSF but it was tough as a lot of them were tuition specific.

My favorite thing though, was USC accepting my CalGrant then deducting the Trustee. They were most definitely not going to turn down money from the State.
    trojanchick, Yikes, I hope they didn't make a mistake! I had read that somewhere too if I remember correctly, but it was accepted so I guessed it was ok after all.
    She received a couple of outside scholarships too but those were specifically allowed for any college related expenses.
  • bessiebessie Posts: 1,818Registered User Senior Member
    It is possible to get other aid that helps with room and board. Just not as likely for merit only kids. Kids who have a lower EFC might get some extra help with the room and board expenses, though.
  • HImomHImom Posts: 19,206Registered User Senior Member
    If you have high need, I know that USC can award "grants" that don't need to be repaid, above & beyond merit aid, particularly if you have attractive credentials & they really want you. It can help if you can show them attractive competing packages.
  • qzarqzar Posts: 104Registered User Junior Member
    Sequoia can you go into detail about what you mean by the $8,000 over tuition thing?
    qzar, if you have a USC full tuition scholarship, USC will credit your account with any other outside scholarships you may have received, but only up to $8000 worth. This applies when outside scholarships are intended ONLY for tuition.

From the "USC Undergraduate Competitive Scholarship Guide":

"Competitive awards from other sources that can be used only for the payment of tuition may be combined with these merit-based funds provided that the total scholarship funds do not exceed the student's USC tuition by more than $8000." (where merit based funds mean Trustee/Pres,Leadership, Deans, Directors, and Associate Scholarships)

In other words, if you get the Trustee which is for full tuition, USC will credit an outside scholarship, or more than one, even if it/they is/are supposed to be used only for tuition costs, but only up to $8000. Meaning that, that money can be applied to room and board.

Then
    " Awards from other sources that are designated for general education expenses (including room and board) may be combined with these scholarships provided that the total scholarship funds do not exceed the USC total cost of attendence as determined by the Financial Aid Office."

So if those outside scholarships are allowed to be used for other expenses besides tuition, then you can use them up to the TOTAL cost of USC, including room and board, books etc. (which presently is about $52000).

So if you got, say, an Intel prize for $10000, AND the Trustee, USC will only accept $8000 of it if Intel designates that the money goes only to tuition, but if it is allowed for ANY university expenses, then USC will accept $10000 as long the total of ALL your scholarships doesn't exceed +/- $52000.

I hope I clarified rather than caused confusion.