Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

What is the best Frat at USC?

GlennRyan1210GlennRyan1210 Posts: 122Registered User Junior Member
What is the overall personality of each frat? Which pulls the most girls? Which has the most chill dudes? j/w
Post edited by GlennRyan1210 on

Replies to: What is the best Frat at USC?

• War ChantWar Chant Posts: 2,341Registered User Senior Member
    This sounds like a juicy campus topic. You need to go through rush to see which fraternity fits you the best.
  • CollegeFrenzyCollegeFrenzy Posts: 333Registered User Member
    SAE, Sigma Chi, Beta are probably the top three Fraternities. Maybe add Sigma Nu in the mix.
  • Taxi1113Taxi1113 Posts: 529Registered User Member
    I've heard Lambda Chi as well.
  • Macklowsky_JonMacklowsky_Jon Posts: 7Registered User New Member
    Beta is definitely NOT top. The hottest girls (DG, Theta, Kappa) generally hang out at SAE, Lambda, and Sigma Chi. Doesn't necessarily mean they are chill dudes though. Some are complete ****** bags. I would say sigma chi is the most chill out of the three.
  • Georgia GirlGeorgia Girl Posts: 3,522Registered User Senior Member
    The best fraternity is one where a candidate and a chapter feel a strong connection. Different houses appeal to different sorts of personalities. Two of my SC brothers were inititated into a fraternity. One was IFC President.

I do not feel there is a "best group" of fraternities, nor a "best group" of sororities. It is a mutual choice. The best way to go through recruitment is with an open mind and no preconceived ideas.
    there's 3 TOP frats and 3 TOP sororities. One isn't better than the other, they just all have different personalities. As I said, Sigma Chis are the southern california chill beach dudes, SAE are known for being conservative and rich, and Lambda is full of a bunch of meat heads.
    Also, the three top frats are consistently paired with the 3 top sororities. Usually Kappa and Lambda go together, SAE and theta go together, and DG and sigma chi go together.
    @Macklowsky - Thanks for the update, my response above was based on my experience back in the day (the stone age). I was an SAE. Good to know they are still a decent fraternity.

Lambda Chi was not at all a popular fraternity back then, but that is cool.

To bring me up to date, what is the story on Sigma Nu?

Also I heard there is a Christian Fratrenity now, do you have any information on them?

Fight On!
    One other question, do they call them "Frats" now? (used by the OP) When I went to USC that was sort of a derogatory term and considered disrespectful by those who were fraternity members. It was usually a term that people outside the greek system used.

I would say to be safe use the term fraternity if you are planning on rushing. Then again I could be completely out of touch.

Fight On!
  • BandTenHutBandTenHut Posts: 1,098Registered User Senior Member
    Alpha Gamma Omega is the Christian fraternity.

It's not offensive to say 'frat' but I think people prefer to say 'house.'
  • Taxi1113Taxi1113 Posts: 529Registered User Member
    After the three frats that have somewhat stereotypical identities (SAE, Lambda, Sig Chi), what are the next tier of frats that tend to fit less stereotypes and have normal dudes. I've heard Sig Nu, AEPi, Pike, and Beta. Anyone have any others to add? I'm not trying to bash those three frats, but it seems like those are the "top" frats that people always mention, so I'm curious about the next level.
    @BandTenHut, Thanks for the information I appreciate it!

Fight On!
  • josie17josie17 Posts: 167Registered User Junior Member
    It would be really helpful if someone were to post the list of fraternities and sororities with their "personalities" - with rush being as soon as you start school how do you know you are making the right choice? Also, what happens if you choose one that doesn't choose you - does that mean you can not join one in the future? Neither of my parents were Greek so I have no experience with this.
    Here's how it was back in the day. Things may have changed since my time:

When you rush a house you are being evaluated by all the current fraternity members. You are put in a social situation and you mingle with the guys and see how you click. It helps to know an existing fraternity member since they have rush meetings to vote on guys that they may have an interest in and that person can be your advocate. It can also help if you are a legacy and that legacy contacts the fraternity president, but usually its not as much of an influence as if you have a current member pulling for you.

There are also sorority members who become "little sisters" of the fraternity who can also be your advocate.

There is usually a rush chairman that plans rush so he is a good guy to meet.

Typically you have to come back multiple times and if they are interested in you you'll usually get ciruculated to other key guys in the house so they can get to know you.

I think the key is you shouldn't oversell yourself, you just be yourself, but make a good impression and make sure it is a good fit for you. Usually you'll know right away if you click with the guys or not.

If they like you they will give you a bid to join the fraternity. I think the expectation is you will accept the bid, so you should really think things out in advance, but you don't usually have to accept the bid on the spot.

You don't really chose them, they chose you. They do have both Fall and Spring Rush. I was a spring pledge, our class was smaller and it might possibly be slightly easier to get in the Spring but I can't say for sure.

If you rush in the fall but don't get asked you could rush again in the spring, but chances are if you didn't click with the guys in the fall you probably won't click with them in the spring. If it was a close vote and you almost got invited in the fall, you could get the nod in the spring I suppose.

Hope that helps.

Fight On!
  • greeneyes24greeneyes24 Posts: 130Registered User Junior Member
    I don't believe they have the little sister program anymore... I remember my mom complaining about that when my brother was in a fraternity.