Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Society of Leadership and Success

madbeanmadbean Posts: 2,943Registered User Senior Member
My S has received a few letters from USC notifying him about his eligibility to join this group and encouraging him to do so. What a name--it kind of sounds like a joke, no?! Does anyone have info on them? I would dismiss this immediately except for the official mail on USC stationery.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thx!
Post edited by madbean on

Replies to: Society of Leadership and Success

• HawkwingsHawkwings Posts: 1,191Registered User Senior Member
    Does it ask you to pay money to join? If so, ignore it.
  • alamemomalamemom Posts: 6,384Registered User Senior Member
    Yeah, D got this. Dr. Lamy is the faculty advisor, which gives it a bit of legitimacy in my mind. She explored the website and thought it might be useful. Society of Leadership and Success
  • cdmncdmn Posts: 48Registered User Junior Member
    We got this too, and I agree with Hawkwings above. My daughter (I) already paid to join some freshman honor society. I think these things are a waste. IMO the only legitimate one is Phi Beta Kappa, and I don't even think that has a USC chapter.
  • madbeanmadbean Posts: 2,943Registered User Senior Member
    cdmn, my son also paid to join that frosh honor society (I paid for that thinking we could at least go to the ceremony--but then he had a class that evening)--and I never even saw a certificate. Did your d get one?

This society doesn't make their dues requirement well-known (perhaps if you fill out the online form you get to the $$ they want?)

However, the invitations seem official and are sent by USC with a professor encouraging students to join. I wondered if anyone on cc has personal knowledge.
  • Columbia_StudentColumbia_Student Posts: 5,046Registered User Senior Member
    I did not see any fees attached to this leadership letter but I don't think my daughter will be joining this. She is already has a leadership position in a club. She might join the Phi Beta Kappa if they invite her but I think that one is not available until later like Junior year, is that right?
  • KulakaiKulakai Posts: 1,683Registered User Senior Member
    PTK or PBK usually invite you after you maintain a certain GPA for so many credits, usually after one full semester at 3.5 or above.
  • Columbia_StudentColumbia_Student Posts: 5,046Registered User Senior Member
    Honor Societies // SCampus
    Phi Beta Kappa
    Phi Beta Kappa is the oldest national honor society, recognizing achievement in the liberal arts and sciences, primarily in the College of Letters, Arts and Sciences. The society was established in 1776.

Qualifications
    Juniors: (1) 76 units at USC, (2) minimum GPA of 3.65 and (3) 64 liberal arts units out of the 76 above.

Seniors: (1) 96 units at USC, (2) minimum GPA of 3.65 and (3) 76 liberal arts units out of the 96 above.

Transfers: (1) 48 units at USC, (2) working toward 58 semester units at USC, (3) taking a minimum of 10 units currently, (4) minimum GPA of 3.65 and (5) 32 liberal arts units out of the 
48 above.

The GPA qualifications listed above are minimum standards and the actual GPA established for election in a given year may be higher. These are determined annually by the board of the USC chapter of Phi Beta Kappa.

Advisor
    Cynthia Mata Flores, Student 
Services Advisor, Office of College Advising, (213) 740-2534, cmflores@usc.edu

Applications
    By invitation only.

Phi Kappa Phi
    Oldest interdisciplinary university academic honor society. Selects members with excellent scholarship and integrity of character.

Qualifications
    Seniors with at least 96 units and a cumulative GPA of at least 3.85; juniors with 80 units and a cumulative GPA of 3.9; recipients of master’s degree with a minimum GPA of 3.9; and doctoral candidates in the top five percent of all graduate students whose dissertations have been approved for final typing are considered for membership. The GPA requirement may vary depending upon class averages. Undergraduate students must have completed 48 graded units at USC and graduate students must have completed 24 graded units at USC.
    D received an email today saying Dr. Lamy is not associated with the "National Society of Leadership and Success" and suggesting it may be a scam. I wonder how those sending the letters were able to get student records and addresses? I'm glad she didn't join!
  • madbeanmadbean Posts: 2,943Registered User Senior Member
    alamemom, thanks for posting this. We were obviously skeptical and then got USC's warning email. I can't imagine how this invitation was sent to the student's home address on USC stationery, though. Hope they investigate.
  • KathycKathyc Posts: 622Registered User Member
    My daughter just sent me the e-mail saying it was a fake.
  • cdmncdmn Posts: 48Registered User Junior Member
    Sorry for the late response, but she did get a certificate that is stuffed in a box somewhere in her room I'm sure.