Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

USC Quick Takes

victoria2victoria2 Posts: 54Registered User Junior Member
I had a question about the quick takes on the application. Will the answers influence the decision making, or is it just for fun?

For instance: When answering the quick take "greatest invention of all time" I am inclined to write down something funny or something honest.
But aren't they expecting me to write down someting objectively correct and dull like "the internet"?

Do you have to be original or intellectual?
Post edited by victoria2 on

Replies to: USC Quick Takes

• tumblweed32tumblweed32 Posts: 272Registered User Junior Member
    You obviously don't understand the point of quick takes

for you, honest
  • victoria2victoria2 Posts: 54Registered User Junior Member
    No, obviously I don't understand the point of quick takes, otherwise I wouldn't ask. What is THE POINT, then?
  • kmzizzlekmzizzle Posts: 1,248Registered User Senior Member
    for the my fav. quote section i put this -it def was the tipping point of my app :P
    "Racing cars which have been converted for road use never really work. It’s like making a hard core adult film, and then editing it so that it can be shown in British hotels. You’d just end up with a sort of half hour close up of some bloke’s sweaty face." - Jeremy Clarkson

just put whatever comes to mind. they want to see you are an actual person with a personality
  • bessiebessie Posts: 1,818Registered User Senior Member
    They want to see your personality. Just answer quickly, as directed, and see what comes out. At one of the orientations, they read off some of the answers and none of the ones they read were super intelligent or sophisticated. If you have a sense of humor, then it will come out if you just answer the quicktakes without editing yourself as you go. Make it fun, do not overanalyze a simple task and suck the joy out of it. Really, put down whatever you like. Consider it a snapshot of your personality. Good luck.
  • EiffelEiffel Posts: 1,370Registered User Senior Member
    So is it bad if you do give thought-out answers for some of them? Or if you are serious about some of them? Like for my favorite fictional character and for my role model, I gave reasons. Is that fine?
  • tumblweed32tumblweed32 Posts: 272Registered User Junior Member
    yes that's awful. Automatic application rejection.

In all seriousness, USC likes all types of students, not all serious and pensive and not all capricious and humorous. A mix is good, seriously, people stress too much over this section.
  • cc411cc411 Posts: 1,724Registered User Senior Member
    Agree with all of the above. I would just stay away from negative and sarcastic remarks.