Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

2012/13 Spring Transfer Thread

kha1edkha1ed Posts: 93Registered User Junior Member
Let's all post our GPA, hours, ec in this thread and chances.

Deadline is getting really close!
Post edited by kha1ed on

Replies to: 2012/13 Spring Transfer Thread

• robertrulezrobertrulez Posts: 299Registered User Junior Member
    Hey guys I'm a recent transfer that started this past summer. I transferred from UH and this is the best decision I've ever made. Do not hesitate. Just do it. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.
  • MannyR718MannyR718 Posts: 21Registered User New Member
    Hey everyone! I'm not applying for spring, but I have a few concerns. I'm applying into the college of communication for the fall of 2013. By the time I apply, I will have completed thirty hours, but I'm really worried about my gpa. I am struggling in my government and history class, and I think I'm going to get a B in both courses. I project that my commulative gpa will be 3.7 with thirty completed hours. Do you think I have a chance of getting accepted? I have great resume and essays.
  • alkalinelennoalkalinelenno Posts: 37Registered User Junior Member
    OOS Community college student
    Applying to college of natural sciences for computer science
    3.94 GPA
    ~52 credit hours
    Upper-level math and science tutor at my college
    Worked at a property management company doing IT related tasks for one year

Chances??
  • propayne7propayne7 Posts: 187Registered User Junior Member
    You'll be fine Alkalinelenno...quit stressin'. Comp Sci is not competitive and your GPA is going to pull you through whatever you would like.

Manny, a 3.7 should(can't give definite, of course) get you into the University. I don't know much about the College of Communications, but I know it is somewhat competitive depending on what you want your major to be.
  • alkalinelennoalkalinelenno Posts: 37Registered User Junior Member
    Haha yeah I am kinda stressin out about it. I'm surprised you say that it is not competitive though, considering it's ranked top 10 in the US. But thanks again, guess I better just stop worrying until I get that admissions decision lol
  • propayne7propayne7 Posts: 187Registered User Junior Member
    When I say "not competitive" I mean getting into the College of Natural Sciences is not difficult...in fact, you can get into the CNS whenever you want (for MOST majors). As far as the job market and academic standings being competitive, that is probably a different story. I am still in lower-division so I do not have the insight that a junior, senior, or grad might have.
  • kha1edkha1ed Posts: 93Registered User Junior Member
    Transfer from: ACC
    Major: 1st-Government(COLA), 2nd-UGS
    GPA: 3.486(hopefully will be around 3.5 to 3.6 after this semester)
    Hours: 46(including this semester)
    EC: A little volunteering, Phi Theta Kappa, a bunch of HS stuff, mostly not relating to my major

This is my second time applying, I got rejected last semester with a 3.44. I've raised my GPA a little and I have a slightly better resume this time around. Only taking 9 hours this semester because I don't have any other classes I can take at my college that I need. GPA will be 3.5+ after this semester, but will they wait for this semester's grades to come out?
  • roflzqwertyroflzqwerty Posts: 9Registered User New Member
    UT Arlington student
    Applying to CNS and UGS
    3.53 GPA
    first semester was rough. Got 2.6 first semester, then got 2 4.0's right after.
    38 credit hours
    Chances?
    how long should the statement of purpose essay be?
  • IWANT2BALONGHORNIWANT2BALONGHORN Posts: 20Registered User New Member
    -Out of state
    -completed three humanities & two art class(15 hrs of coursework) with 3.6 GPA
    -Currently taking stat, english, and 3 social sciences (18 hours of coursework) which i will most likely end up with all A's.... which will even my total GPA to 3.8
    -Psychology Major
    -EC include football, voluntary work with church&events, 2 jobs previously, couple awards, etc.
    -African American
    -probably no recommendations :/
    -Both essays will be A- material

Do you guys think i have a good chance of getting into UT austin for spring 2013?
    thanks
  • ThatTransferGirlThatTransferGirl Posts: 28Registered User New Member
    Transfer from: a Texas CC
    Applying to: CNS(Human Development and Family Studies), COLA(Psychology)
    GPA: 3.58(hopefully will be around 3.7 after this semester)
    Hours: 47 credits
    EC: 200+ volunteer hours at a special needs camp from this summer, after school job, Phi Theta Kappa member, Sigma Kappa Delta(English Honor Society), The Wish Makers club (benefits make a wish kids).
    Essays: Good.

Chances??
    ThatTransferGirl:

I think you're good, at least for COLA for sure.
  • lakehorn15lakehorn15 Posts: 14Registered User New Member
    Transferring from ACC
    Applying to COLA (Economics), UGS
    Will have 41 hours after this semester
    Current GPA: 3.179 - will be 3.4+ after this semester
    Good essays
    Good ECs

With my not so great GPA, is there any chance at all for me? Or should I wait and improve my GPA some more?

Also, is it any easier to apply for the spring semester?
    Lakehorn:

You have to get it to 3.4ish to have a shot honestly, and hope that they wait for your final grades to come out. I got rejected last semester with 34 hours and a 3.44 gpa. Good Luck!
  • roflzqwertyroflzqwerty Posts: 9Registered User New Member
    UT Arlington student Applying to CNS and UGS 3.53 GPA first semester was rough. Got 2.6 first semester, then got 2 4.0's right after. 38 credit hours Chances?