Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

How to get into a sorority (UT Greek Life?)

MidwestMom2Kids_MidwestMom2Kids_ Posts: 6,665Registered User Senior Member
There is a web site explains the steps involved in getting into a sorority, generally speaking. Here is some of what it says about recommendations:

"Some schools, mainly competitive Southern schools, require recommendations for someone to have a shot at joining a chapter. This is never stated outright. Generally recruitment information says something along the lines of “recommendations are not required at XYZ University. It is the responsibility of the chapter to obtain a letter of recommendation for a potential new member if the chapter requires one.” What this means is that if you are totally outstanding, the chapter will find an alumna to write a rec for you. But if you don’t wow them, lack of a recommendation might result in you getting cut. But why make it come to that? It is much easier to obtain a recommendation for every chapter at the college you will be rushing and have them submitted long before rush starts. Many cities have a Panhellenic association in their town that you can contact to get recommendations."

To all of this I say, to each his own. I found the web site while looking up an acronym - I saw someone referring to a PNM, didn't know what they were talking about, and googled. Here is the web site, in case it is helpful to anyone.

Unofficial Guide to Sorority Rush · How to get in to your first choice
Post edited by MidwestMom2Kids_ on

Replies to: How to get into a sorority (UT Greek Life?)

• southernbelleQTsouthernbelleQT Posts: 16Registered User New Member
    umm ignore the whole clothing section for this school and any other respectable southern school with a large greek system

"Round 1- Casual skirt or nice pants/capris with a nice top. (think Gap, American Eagle)

Round 2- Nicer skirt with a simple top (Jcrew, Banana Republic)

Round 3- Summery dress, sun dress (Ann Taylor, Anthropologie)

Round 4-Nicer summery dress, (think BCBG, Laundry by Shelli Segal)

Pref- cocktail dress, black, pearls"

WRONG WRONG WRONG!
  • bethesda girlbethesda girl Posts: 1Registered User New Member
    If you are so knowledgeable about this why are you posting so many questions. That sound accurate to me. Go check around Greek Chat and see what they say.
    did i ask anything about what to wear? no i did not. i asked about texas' process in particular because every school does something differently.

what to wear is pretty standard....well if you're from the south.

so why dont mind yours? because i dont believe any1 asked you
    =)

if it sounds so right to you, YOU can wear it.
  • thelonerangertheloneranger Posts: 1,624Registered User Senior Member
    Well actually I'm almost positive that for Round 1 at UT the girls have to wear a white t-shirt and shorts.
    aka the panhellenic tshirt

and you should ask a current active that you know or your rho gam/pi chi/ whatever u wanna call it, how you should dress because the website always tries to act as if rush is some nonchalant thing

thanks midwestmom for the advice but yall should just probally ask an active of the school you're rushing to prepare you for reality. sorry if i came off rude yall, that was very unclassy of me :/
  • aggiemom39aggiemom39 Posts: 51Registered User New Member
    Yes, southernbelle you were rude. A true southern lady is not.

Now to MidwestMom...
    Its been a few years since D rushed at TAMU. S is active at UT now. The advice I give, seeing friends daughters as officers at UT sororities now plus having S there now, is UT sorority rush is a crapshoot. Double legacies sometimes don't make the cut; some bright beautiful blondes with boobs don't make the cut at the sororities they like. You are however, GUARANTEED a bid if you stick it out to the bitter end. If you are NOT from D/FW, Houston, San Antonio it is harder to make it into the more desirable houses, plus the high school you attended there makes a difference. Even for guys, it helps if you have been in the same herd all along, and that people KNOW you prior to getting to UT. My S started going to fraternity parties for recruitment (Roundups) late in his jr year of high school.

The clothing is pretty rigid for each round; they want to remember the girl, not the outfit. A few years ago the place to go was Harolds, but I don't know if that is still current. Try to make contact early, filling out the forms online and letting them know you are interested. If she makes it in, expect to drop big bucks at St Thomas for formals while she is there.

The D of friend who is an officer at a decent, though not great, sorority explained how they actually make posters profiling the girls who they want, and will seek them out. It actually sounds like they put more planning into Rush than Bush and his cronies did into invading Iraq. They are looking for people who are outgoing, are bubbly and can handle the pressure of rush. If your daughter is shy, it is going to be harder. So throw her into new social situations at home; let her "practice" meeting strangers, and making small talk. SHE WILL NEED TO SHINE DURING RUSH. ( Think forcing her to go to those things she doesn't want to now, like family functions from your job, etc) I would NOT buy a lot of clothes now. What was the uniform in high school will not cut it at UT.I think every Greek freshman at UT has a closet full of unworn Hollister and Abercrombie. (Although non-greeks will still wear it, and it is still ok at TAMU) Keep some money to be spent on clothes that you discover you have to have when you get there (last year the sorority football game day uniform consisted of short sundresses with cowboy boots. No comment on how it looked)

In short, I am glad the D rushed where she did, and the S went thru UT. I think UT is easier on the guys...
    thanks aggiemom

what are the unspoken rules for PNMs attending roundup? any advice?
  • senior92senior92 Posts: 1Registered User New Member
    Hi! I'm actually interested in rushing at UTAustin as well and I've had a lot of trouble figuring out the answers to some questions I have about everything! Here goes...

What are the different UTAustin sorority reputations?
    How much of a time commitment can I expect?
    When does rush stuff start?
    What exactly is necessary for rushing? (i.e. letters of rec. etc.) and when does this need to be done?
    How much are dues?

I also recently got into LAH at UT and I'm wondering how hard it's going to be to balance the two! Thanks so much :)
  • DetruireDetruire Posts: 7Registered User New Member
    I know nothing about sororities, but shortly before my grandmother died she gave me her mother's Pi Beta Phi ring. It's been in the family for awhile and I thought it'd be cool to continue the tradition. What is the rep of UT's chapter? And I think I'm missing something with the whole outfit thing. During rush do they make judgments on your appearance alone?
  • MidwestMom2Kids_MidwestMom2Kids_ Posts: 6,665Registered User Senior Member
    This is the revival of a very old thread. Other threads besides this one have suggested reading what it says on "Greek Chat" (which you can probably Google).
  • DetruireDetruire Posts: 7Registered User New Member
    Oh, ok. I'm sorry, I'm new and didn't see that one. Thanks!