Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Average SAT score at UT Austin?

printlnprintln Posts: 167Registered User Junior Member
What is the current average SAT score at UT Austin out of the 2400 scale?

Thanks!
Post edited by println on

Replies to: Average SAT score at UT Austin?

• henryj223henryj223 Posts: 463Registered User Member
    they haven't released the 2008-2009 data but the 2007-2008 is:

Critical Reading: 597
    Mathematics: 628
    Writing: 588

Total = 1813
    Freshman Profile | Why UT? | Be a Longhorn
    the data is for incoming freshman. there weren't any scores out of 2400 for ALL students at UT
  • shivamparikhshivamparikh Posts: 149Registered User Junior Member
    any stats for international and OOS students ?
  • JHB619JHB619 Posts: 380Registered User Member
    Anybody feel those avg. could be higher if Texas didn't have the 10% rule?
  • FiyeroFiyero Posts: 791Registered User Member
    I think the average would be higher without the top ten percent law. 80% of last year's class was admitted under the law. Those with automatic admission do not care as much about their scores and are not working to get the best possible result to increase their chances for admission. Of course not every single one of them is thinking UT only. There are many interested in other schools who do take it seriously. I'm just judging that from the many top tenners who I've met who didn't care at all about their applications. They seem to take pride in just how little effort they put into their applications.
  • bh8543bh8543 Posts: 15Registered User New Member
    Yes, they would definitely higher if UT did not have the 10% rule.
    i agree as well. without the top 10% rule, applicants would put in more effort and those with high SAT scores but low GPAs would apply now that they have a much better chance
  • liu02bhsliu02bhs Posts: 657- Member
    Top 10% only guarantee admission to UT, it doesn't guarantee entrance to the more competitive colleges. Texas liberal arts is the traditional dumping ground for top 10% with low SAT.
    Hey, is top 10% rule applicable also to international students?
  • educatemepleaseeducatemeplease Posts: 113Registered User Junior Member
    shivamparikh - Top 10% only applies to Texas graduates. If you're from a different country but are still graduating in the top 10% of a Texas school - you're just not a citizen - then you would be automatically admitted as well.

And kids in the top 10% (at least in my school) are trying compete not only for their major at UT, but a spot in Honors. Also kids in top 10% are also the ones who will apply to Ivy League schools - so they won't all be slacking on their SATs. But I'm sure the law does give a lot of top 10%ers an "OK" to slack.
    Oh, cause i am ranked 2 unofficially, it is not written on my transcipt ... crap ... i wish i had asked them to write it ...