Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

How is the GPA Calculated at UT?

sprintusersprintuser Posts: 180Registered User Junior Member
How is the GPA Calculated at UT? I'm doing premed so I'm aiming really high.
Post edited by sprintuser on

Replies to: How is the GPA Calculated at UT?

• FiyeroFiyero Posts: 791Registered User Member
    Starting in the fall, UT goes to the +/- scale.

A+ and A 4.0
    A- 3.67
    B+ 3.33
    B 3.0
    B- 2.67
    and so on.

That grading scale goes into effect in all colleges at UT.
  • sprintusersprintuser Posts: 180Registered User Junior Member
    Thanks! I was hoping it would be like A&M where there aren't + and -. So what are the numbers required to get an A+, A, and A-?
  • foxshoxfoxshox Posts: 923Registered User Member
    There is no A+, so that is why I hate this system. I am not really sure where they exact grade cut offs are, but I would imagine it would be like 90-92 or 90-93. I am glad I had a couple years in the regular GPA system so now I got my GPA high enough to take the hopefully take the hit.
    I don't believe there has been any cutoff numbers established for the +/- system yet. At least I've never seen any numbers anywhere. I've heard the reason there is no A+ worth 4.33 is that grad schools would then rescale UT GPAs down .33 to make it into a 4.0 scale, thereby lowering everyone's GPA. At least that is the excuse given out by advisers.
    It may be left up to the professor. They are simple switching to the grad school grading scale, and they simply classify grades as A-, A, B+, etc. I think a teacher can just assign straight a's, b's, and c's if they want to.
  • topawala20topawala20 Posts: 203Registered User Junior Member
    do you'll think that the plus and minus will make average GPA higher or lower?

i am trying to transfer into McCombs internally so I will basically need a 3.7-4.0 next year and i am getting a little worried about this plus and minus.
    Yeah you probably should be a little worried. Basically anybody who has above a 3.5 will be negatively affected by this. This is because there are no A+'s to balance out the A-'s, so it makes everything all kinds of messed up. They argue that this will combat grade inflation, but all it is doing is lowering the people with high GPAs down and moving the people who get a lot of borderline B's up.
    This is the text of an email sent to my by my adviser recently about this topic.
    The Senate of College Councils Presents:

What you need to know about Plus/Minus Grading

Plus/Minus Grading: What is it?

Starting in the Fall of 2009, the University will switch from its current system to a plus/minus system.

Current System:
    Current System
    A
    B
    C
    D
    F

The New System:
    System for Fall '09
    A
    A-
    B+
    B
    B-
    C+
    C
    C-
    D+
    D
    D-
    F

Senate's Stance: The Bottom Line

"Plus minus grading is happening, starting Fall 2009. The Senate of College Councils has been actively involved in the issue since Spring 2007. Throughout the planning process, Senate worked hard to represent the student voice, and remains committed to advocating for students during the implementation process."

Make your voice heard at [email]PlusMinusGrading@****[/email]

Frequently Asked Questions

Will the plus/minus system be grandfathered?
    No. Come Fall of 2009, all students (current and incoming) will be under the new grading system.

Will my GPA be Affected*?
    No. Effects on GPA will likely even out, and the effect on top students is as likely to be positive. In any case, given that most of our peer institutions use plus/minus grading, this change would increase the equity of comparisons for students from different universities.

Will the Plus/Minus System be Optional for Professors?
    No. Starting Fall 2009, the University is moving to having only one grading scale. Professors can assign which ever grade in our grading scale they feel is most representative of the academic performance of the student.

Why is the University Switching*?

1. Plus/minus grading allows for more accurate representation of students' performance.

2. Plus/minus grading makes it easier to assign grades in borderline cases

3. Plus/minus grading may be used to reduce grade inflation.

4. All 11 of our peer institutions (the group of large public universities that UT Austin uses for comparison purposes) use some form of plus/minus grading.

5. The new system will help with transfer student discrepancies.

6. The more grade options we have means that students are awarded grades appropriate to their performance in a course.
  • MidwestMom2Kids_MidwestMom2Kids_ Posts: 6,667Registered User Senior Member
    Foxshox is right, of course. This will have an adverse effect on the GPA of high-GPA students, especially those who have GPAs over 3.67.
  • ag54ag54 Posts: 2,909Registered User Senior Member
    Whew, I'm glad my son was under the old system for the last two years. He is applying for the MPA this spring and the average gpa is 3.7, which he has, but I bet some of those A's were really A-'s :)

It won't matter for him any more in the fall because he should already be accepted.

My oldest, who went to UF has liked the +/- system and it hasn't seemed to affect him negatively. He would usually get a few A's and some B+'s each semester, so his gpa was higher than if it had been a flat 3 for the B's. I don't think any of his professors ever gave him an A- though. Maybe they were just nice ;)
  • leeznonleeznon Posts: 417Registered User Member
    Yeah the +/- scale is terrible for students who want to transfer internally, it makes it so much harder. Its good for students who get B's but bad for students who barely get A's. I would rather have the old system.
  • ChiasmusChiasmus Posts: 86Registered User Junior Member
    Ultimately, the final decision is up to the professor, but from what I hear it goes something like follows:

A: 94+
    A-:90+
    B+: ~87

etc.

But really, it's up to your professor, since they're the ones assigning grades.
  • sprintusersprintuser Posts: 180Registered User Junior Member
    Wow that's ridiculous. I don't know if I'll be able to get even a few 94+.
  • topawala20topawala20 Posts: 203Registered User Junior Member
    there is a bigger difference between a person who makes a 91 instead of 89 than a person who makes an 81 instead of an 89.
    so this +/- thing is just gonna screw over smart kids. i think if you worked hard for that A, then you deserve that A.
  • cone23cone23 Posts: 100Registered User Junior Member
    I would think internal transfers wouldn't become more difficult, as they'd likely still try to allow the same amount of it happening. If the mean grade is lower, then the transfers would hopefully be judged accordingly.

Of course, this is government work, so maybe not.