Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Does UT run background checks on applicants

raptor12raptor12 Posts: 2Registered User New Member
I'm not talking about criminal checks. I am talking about extensive checks that look into a applicants employment history in order to check to see if the person isn't lying.
Post edited by raptor12 on

Replies to: Does UT run background checks on applicants

• foxshoxfoxshox Posts: 923Registered User Member
    With close to 40k undergrads and 10k grad students, you honestly think they have time to thoroughly check work status? The most I have heard them do is call once when checking to see if people actually work where they say they work. Beyond that, they don't invest a ton of time and effort.
  • thelonerangertheloneranger Posts: 1,624Registered User Senior Member
    That in no way, shape, or form should encourage you to lie.
  • ResurgamBellResurgamBell Posts: 2,269. Senior Member
    i would say not for general studies admission...

but maybe for merit and honors programs...
  • flyboy22flyboy22 Posts: 78Registered User Junior Member
    I think for harder private institutions like the Ivy Leagues they are more likely to check if it's something major that really impacts their admission decision.

UT is a public university with tons of applicants it would take too much time and money.

Something like a job(unless you put like CEO of Microsoft) is pretty minor as an EC even at UT, so no real point in checking. They might check if you say you are working full time and taking 18 hours of classes though.