Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Does UT require rec. letters?

johnsyedjohnsyed Posts: 110Registered User Junior Member
Does UT require rec. letters? Do they have like some sort of form that I print and get my teacher to fill out or do I just hand my teacher an envelope and tell here to write me a rec. letter? Also, do they need a counselor rec. too or only a teacher one?
Post edited by johnsyed on

Replies to: Does UT require rec. letters?

• Why Two KayWhy Two Kay Posts: 941Registered User Member
    No rec letters are required for the regular ApplyTexas application. However, any honors applications do require an online-submitted rec letter, which will be detailed to your during the honors application process.

The regular application does accept rec letters, I believe, though.
  • ThunderFan1ThunderFan1 Posts: 913Registered User Member
    I don't think its REQUIRED but they do accept them
  • maginamagina Posts: 39Registered User Junior Member
    there's no special rec. form for undergrads. Sealing your rec letters in envelopes together with your application docs will be good enough
  • AllThisIsNewToMeAllThisIsNewToMe Posts: 1,927Registered User Senior Member
    My son's school wll send them bundled with the transcript if you ask... less chance of being lost!
  • cocoalunacocoaluna Posts: 292Registered User Junior Member
    some honors do, but no for regular application
  • ElasticityElasticity Posts: 359Registered User Member
    How much will a rec letter affect the application?
  • johnsyedjohnsyed Posts: 110Registered User Junior Member
    so shud i just hand my teacher an envelope and tell her to write me a rec. letter?

and i also hav a UT ID. so shud i write that ID on my app. and/or rec. letter?
  • MidwestMom2Kids_MidwestMom2Kids_ Posts: 6,665Registered User Senior Member
    Letters of recommendation are not on the list of items considered for admission.
  • FiyeroFiyero Posts: 791Registered User Member
    Here is the link on the admissions site which addresses recommendations. It states:
    "Although letters of recommendation are not required when applying for admission to the university, meaningful information about you from someone who can speak of you as a student and as a young adult in an unbiased way may help us to make the best decision possible when your admissions application is reviewed."

Recommendations | Freshmen | Be a Longhorn

johnsyed, anything you submit to UT should have your UT EID on it to make sure it is matched to your information.
  • ThunderFan1ThunderFan1 Posts: 913Registered User Member
    what if we don't have a UT ID # yet>?
  • sundollsundoll Posts: 473Registered User Member
    https://idmanager.its.utexas.edu/eid_self_help/

You may already have one, otherwise it will get assigned when you submit your application.
  • sundollsundoll Posts: 473Registered User Member
    Sorry, that should say that you may already have one, but you can request one as well. On the site I linked there is an option for "Get a UT EID" that will guide you through the process.
  • maginamagina Posts: 39Registered User Junior Member
    I sent all my application documents without a UT EID written on it. It can cause lots of trouble though. My online full name was different than what I put on the mailed documents. So after the application process I had two UT EIDs sent to me which was then merged with some difficulty. If you don't have a UT EID and don't plan to get one yet, make sure everything on your documents correspond exactly to what you gave online.
  • Why Two KayWhy Two Kay Posts: 941Registered User Member
    If you sent your SAT scores, you have a UT EID.
  • spartan5spartan5 Posts: 51Registered User Junior Member
    Not required, but they accept 2 and they are recommended