Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Does how early you turn your application matter?

zoeewatsonzoeewatson Posts: 12Registered User New Member
I turned my application in on Dec 1st and I'm really scared I won't get in due to how late I turned it in. I've heard if you aren't in top 10% and you wait as late as I did then it's really hard to get in... Has anyone else heard this? I'm applying to school of education if that makes a difference.
Post edited by zoeewatson on

Replies to: Does how early you turn your application matter?

• tim739`tim739` Posts: 228Registered User Junior Member
    It definitely helps to turn it in early but the reason UT is so slow to send out acceptance/denial to non-top 10% people is because they want to get a good idea of the applicant pool and consider everyone. So, you're in luck.
  • cocoalunacocoaluna Posts: 292Registered User Junior Member
    i think if your not top 10% it does..but im not sure because i think they hold non top 10%s until after all too 10%ers have been admiited
  • kaygar09kaygar09 Posts: 181Registered User Junior Member
    Yes, it does matter, especially if you're not top 10%.

Isn't this year's apps due Dec. 15th? If you just turned it in on Dec. 1st, you might be a little bit at risk. Non-top 10%ers have a much better chance at getting in if they turn in apps early because UT admissions run on rolling admission. They do want to get a good look at the entire applicant pool but if you turned your app in early, they won't make you wait too terribly long. By now, I would imagine you're in a pool of apps that are just now getting turned in so if anyone in the pool is top 10% (especially if they're well within it) or have better recs, rank, test scores, etc. they'll be considered first.

When I was a HS senior, our due date was Jan 15 with the applytexas scholarship due Nov 31, which is when I submitted mine. I was top 10% and got admitted right within 2 weeks. That was with top 10% automatic admission, but now UT changed their admission standards so if you're not top 10% and you're pretty late at turning in your app, you might be playing a game of chance. College of education isn't hard to get into though so if there's something in your app that stands out among the crowd, you'll have a better chance of getting in. Good luck!
  • zoeewatsonzoeewatson Posts: 12Registered User New Member
    Thanks so much! My application status changed today, they are apparently "reviewing" my app now... not sure if that is a good sign or not.. I guess I'll see!
  • utfor11utfor11 Posts: 49Registered User Junior Member
    Hey kaygar, is College of Natural Sciences hard to get into?
    Specifically, computer science.

Thanks.
  • kitkatkatiekitkatkatie Posts: 474Registered User Member
    How can you check your app status?????

I know my transcript hasn't been processed yet, but I know they have it. My counselor sent it.

I also submitted the scholarship app on December 1, and I just submitted my engineering honors app on the 10th. I only decided to apply on the 30 November, so I really couldn't have submitted any earlier.

BTW, here are some stats:

out of state app
    school doesn't rank
    weighted gpa- 4.53
    ACT-35 (I didn't send my SAT scores- they were a 2170 with subject tests 740/720 math 2/bio, 610 french)
    also took college courses (31 credits via dual enrollment), but I got a couple C's due to a personal situation described in my counselor recommendation and one of my essays. So, the GPA is a bit low with college.
    Extracurriculars include extensive theater, forestry volunteering, an internship with a lab at the local university (engineering lab)

Engineering is my first choice, geosciences second

Am I screwed for admission?
    Your stats are fantastic, it's always been my impression that UT pays particular attention to standardized test scores and in your case, this should be advantageous. I think you have a very good chance of admission, so don't worry!
  • kitkatkatiekitkatkatie Posts: 474Registered User Member
    Thanks!

It's a bit of a safety school for me, but then I saw how competitive it is for out of state, and I panicked a bit.
  • anish10anish10 Posts: 58Registered User Junior Member
    All of my information was sent in by November 19.
    Oh and to check your application status, go to this link:

Check Status | Do Stuff Online | Be a Longhorn

Click "log into status check".