Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

uvm vip chances

rosiemomrosiemom Posts: 54Registered User Junior Member
edited October 2006 in University of Vermont
my son has been invited to apply to uvm w/ the vip application. he has a 3.75 gpa, a geat paper to hand in in lieu of essay, great recs, great ec's/ ap & honors classes.
sustained interest in environmental studies & ec's & volunteer work to back this up.
he has low sat scores of 1110. will retake, but not in time for the early vip app deadline.
does anyone have an opinion whether it would be a good idea to apply w/ the vip & these scores or wait for the new scores?
Post edited by rosiemom on

Replies to: uvm vip chances

• PikachusbuttPikachusbutt Posts: 100Registered User Junior Member
    It's a tough call. What are his section scores on SAT and how much do you expect his score to increase?

Personally, I'd say go ahead with the VIP app. I was accepted as an in-state Early Action last year and I know a professor in UVM. Once he told me that if you got a >550 on every section, you'd probably get in. But, again, i was an in-state, so it's a tough call.

If you are sure that your son's score will improve over 90 points, then it's probably good to wait and see. But given that he has a great paper and EC, I'd be pretty surprised if he gets rejected w/ a VIP app.
  • rosiemomrosiemom Posts: 54Registered User Junior Member
    his individual scores were, cr 570, m540 & wr 610.
    his practice tests before that were almost 1300. i think he'll apply & if the tests go up, see if they'll consider them. thanks for the help.
  • leanidleanid Posts: 1,659Registered User Senior Member
    What is the VIP program?
  • rosiemomrosiemom Posts: 54Registered User Junior Member
    it's an early invitation to apply, no fee, no essay (just a graded paper) supposed to get a response in three weeks.