Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Difference between 100, 200, and 300 level courses?

wofbharatjwofbharatj Posts: 305Registered User Member
edited May 2011 in University of Virginia
At UVA, each department has courses ranging from 100s to sometimes in the 700s. I was wondering if there is a general rule of thumb when it comes to difficulty between the levels. I want to take SOC 2380 (Race, Gender, Poverty) and PHIL 3110 (Plato). But what worries me is the fact that they are 200/300 level courses that don't contribute to my major other than degree requirements. Is there an actual distinguishable thing to notice between 100 vs 200 vs 300 etc?
Post edited by wofbharatj on

Replies to: Difference between 100, 200, and 300 level courses?

• jinglejingle Posts: 1,197Registered User Senior Member
    Generally, 1000 and 2000 are courses for first/second-years or nonmajors. 3000 and 4000 are designed for major-level students. 2000 courses tend to be more specialized in topic than 1000 but pretty much on the same level. Similarly, there's not usually a huge difference in difficulty between 3000 and 4000; in my dept, the large classes for majors get a "3" and the smaller, seminar-style classes for majors get a "4". 5000 classes are generally open to both upper-level undergraduates and graduate students; the higher numbers indicate a grad class.

As an entering student, don't worry about the SOC course-- but you should probably take a lower-level philosophy course before jumping straight into an upper-level Plato class. You might do just fine, but such courses are not designed to teach you the basics of writing a college-level philosophy paper, and you could easily find yourself in trouble after it's too late to drop. Maybe start with Mitch Green's intro to philosophy, or Jorge Secada's 2000-level ancient/medieval philosophy class? There's also a Greek civilization course offered in the Classics Dept. on the 2000 level.

If you do REALLY want to take Plato, make sure your prof knows you're an entering first-year, and don't hesitate to make free use of office hours. You also might want to consider taking the class on a C/NC (pass-fail) basis.
  • charlieschmcharlieschm Posts: 4,282Registered User Senior Member
    I think most first years avoid 3000 level classes, so it may be very uncomfortable taking a class full of people with much more college experience under their belt.

FYI: The fourth digit was recently added to course numbers to reflect discussion, seminar, lab, etc. Therefore, 210 is the same as 2100.
  • wofbharatjwofbharatj Posts: 305Registered User Member
    Thanks guys! I'll look into other classes =]
  • wahoombwahoomb Posts: 741Registered User Member
    This is what I miss most about UVA--first and second years know their place and respect the course hierarchy. At Stanford, there are no restrictions and I have found myself, as a PhD student, with sophomores in PhD seminars.
  • dreaming92dreaming92 Posts: 440Registered User Member
    I took a 3000 level English class my first semester and got a B+, and a 3000 level French class both first and second semester (one lang, one lit) and got As in both. I also took a 3000 level German in Translation class this semester and got an A. It depends what experience you have, I think, as well as just how easy the class actually is! That GETR class was a walk in the park.
  • wofbharatjwofbharatj Posts: 305Registered User Member
    I am very interested in Philosophy, so I don't mind taking a lower level PHIL class before I take Plato. Besides, it also leaves me open to a double major in PHIL, I have a lot of space in my 4 year schedule (Yes I planned out my 4 years, just to see how much room I have for a double major and such =] ).

@Wahoomb, do those students do well in the courses..? I feel like they would be completely lost in the finer details of the high level courses.