Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

UVa: How hard to get in out of state?

lrnprclllrnprcll Posts: 208Registered User Junior Member
edited March 2007 in University of Virginia
How hard is it to get into UVa out of state???
Is there a significant difference between the OOS admission % and the in-state admission % ?
Post edited by lrnprcll on

Replies to: UVa: How hard to get in out of state?

• Chill90Chill90 Posts: 25Registered User New Member
    There actually is a huge difference between getting in in-state and OOS. The admit rate last year for OOS students was 32%, compared with 45% in-state. This year, the OOS admit rate dropped to around 30%. There were 10,928 OOS applicants applying for only 1/3 of the spots in the class, so obviously it is harder to get in to U. Va. from OOS.
  • Dean JDean J Posts: 3,784College Rep Senior Member
    This year, the OOS admit rate dropped to around 30%.
    I said I was guessing that it was around 30% this year, but I don't have official numbers in front of me.
  • Bklyn2CornellBklyn2Cornell Posts: 1,062Registered User Senior Member
    Did the OOS acceptance rate drop this year?
    Yes.

Total apps 2007 (2006): 18,052 (16,298)
    Total OOS apps: 10,928 (9,768)

The class size is staying pretty much the same.
  • Bklyn2CornellBklyn2Cornell Posts: 1,062Registered User Senior Member
    This is probably not UVA-specific and is a phenomenon of people applying to more schools, and more people applying to college generally, correct?

Hopefully, we invited a very diverse class this year (moreso than class of 2010)?
    Yes, it seems as though students are applying to more and more schools each year. There's a thread somewhere in the general college admission forum here with the increase numbers from many different schools. Everyone is up.
  • irishbluesirishblues Posts: 248Registered User Junior Member
    When will the stats be up of how many of those accepted students will actually be attending UVA?
  • BritishBulldogBritishBulldog Posts: 22Registered User New Member
    probably around May 1st which is the deadline for admitted students to submit their enrollment form.
  • trellilytrellily Posts: 86Registered User Junior Member
    This is an "echo" boom generation, caused by the kids of the baby boomers. There are more qualified applicants applying to a relatively static number of schools. Its supposed to come to a head in 2009, with the largest number of applicants, and then drop off from there.