Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Essay - Work of art/music inspired you?

cougercouger Posts: 10Registered User New Member
edited December 2008 in University of Virginia
Hi, for the 250 word essay - What work of art, music, science, mathematics or literature has surprised, unsettled or challenged you, and in what way?
I wanted to write about an instrument that has challenged me, but it's quite an obscure one: the theremin. Obviously many people have no idea what a theremin is, so would it be disadvantageous to write about it? I wouldn't have a lot of room in a 250 words to explain what it was, and since I know admission officers don't have all the time in the world to look at an essay, would this just confuse them considering they have no idea what it is?

Or am I just being paranoid... (Forgive me, it's that Dec - college app - anxiety)

And I don't even know if the answer really works, because they are asking about a work of music and I'm talking about an instrument, is it too far of a stretch?

BTW, a theremin is an instrument that can be played with no hands, it's depended on distance from antennas using radio frequencies to determine volume and pitch.
Post edited by couger on

Replies to: Essay - Work of art/music inspired you?