Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Essay - Work of art/music inspired you?

cougercouger Posts: 10Registered User New Member
edited December 2008 in University of Virginia
Hi, for the 250 word essay - What work of art, music, science, mathematics or literature has surprised, unsettled or challenged you, and in what way?
I wanted to write about an instrument that has challenged me, but it's quite an obscure one: the theremin. Obviously many people have no idea what a theremin is, so would it be disadvantageous to write about it? I wouldn't have a lot of room in a 250 words to explain what it was, and since I know admission officers don't have all the time in the world to look at an essay, would this just confuse them considering they have no idea what it is?

Or am I just being paranoid... (Forgive me, it's that Dec - college app - anxiety)

And I don't even know if the answer really works, because they are asking about a work of music and I'm talking about an instrument, is it too far of a stretch?

BTW, a theremin is an instrument that can be played with no hands, it's depended on distance from antennas using radio frequencies to determine volume and pitch.
Post edited by couger on

Replies to: Essay - Work of art/music inspired you?

• jimmyjamjimmyjam Posts: 305Registered User Member
    I think that first you could expound on the MUSIC of the "theremin" that sounds quite unique to me; then work in your angle. But don't start with you, start with the "theremin" MUSIC so that you are honoring the substance of their question. That way, you answer their question, but ultimately bring the subject around to you and who you are. I like your twist on this and it's different in a good way, IMO. Good luck!
    Hey, I don't know what the h-e-l-l ----a "theremin" is--you better not be messin' with me
    that creates, "Bad Karma" (Warren Zevon--lives)!
  • Dean JDean J Posts: 3,784College Rep Senior Member
    I know what a theremin is. One of my favorite students built one after sending away for a kit! He gave us a little "recital" after he finished. It was a riot!

If you think you can do a good job, I think you should go for it. It's unique, it's interesting, and it has potential to show a lot of personality.

BTW, I was looking for a youtube vid of that student (he's the type to have documented his project) and found this: moonmilk » lev and thumpbot play “crazy” (it's not his, but it's pretty funny).
  • cougercouger Posts: 10Registered User New Member
    Wow, thank you both for such a quick answer!
    And now... to writing :)
  • jimmyjamjimmyjam Posts: 305Registered User Member
    Wow! There you come, out-of-the blue Dean J!! Thanks again! I thought that the theremin sounded so cool too!
    Hey Cougar, if Dean J likes your idea>>>you should surely do it!! Best to you!
  • vistanyvistany Posts: 870Registered User Member
    Hilarious! ...
  • realicecream08realicecream08 Posts: 53Registered User Junior Member
    Do you guys think this essay requires a super serious subject as a response? The version I have written now is about a piece of well known children's literature and I really like it, but it is rather lighthearted and humorous.
  • imnvaimnva Posts: 33Registered User Junior Member
    My D wrote about a silly, lighthearted poem and she got in.
  • Dean JDean J Posts: 3,784College Rep Senior Member
    This might help. We crave essays with personality. If your personality is a little quirky, don't be afraid to let that come out in your essay. One of my colleagues likes to say that "funny is the new smart". :)

I'm not saying you have to think of ways to be goofy or odd in your essays. But, if you happen to write an essay that's a little "out there", don't be afraid to use it. We have three essays, so if you want to take a risk with one, you can play it safe with the other two.
  • k_jok_jo Posts: 137Registered User Junior Member
    I was just going to throw in a link to Parke Muth's article about essays. I've heard him give this in a speech to highschool seniors a couple times, and its helpful.

U.Va. Office of Admission Essays
  • theonenonlynattheonenonlynat Posts: 144Registered User Junior Member
    woah...I think "funny is the new smart" just became my new favourite quote
  • atlonmyback711atlonmyback711 Posts: 47Registered User Junior Member
    "funny is the new smart"--so true
  • pkrzystekpkrzystek Posts: 35Registered User Junior Member
    Dean J, thanks for your posts. They're a great help to all of us.