Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Jefferson Scholarship

bjzbjz Posts: 32Registered User Junior Member
edited June 2005 in University of Virginia
Who else has turned down the Jefferson?
Post edited by bjz on

Replies to: Jefferson Scholarship

• crichessillcrichessill Posts: 904Registered User Member
    why the hell would anyone turn it down??
  • blur2005blur2005 Posts: 5Registered User New Member
    Because they got into an Ivy or MIT, or some school that's actually more recognizable than UVA.
  • suburbiansuburbian Posts: 1,329Registered User Senior Member
    Someone I know turned down Columbia for the Jefferson.
  • twink1etwinkletwink1etwinkle Posts: 481Registered User Member
    a friend of mine who is a senior @ uva (from out of state) turned down harvard for the jefferson. those were the only two schools she even bothered to apply to.
  • hoosfunhoosfun Posts: 69Registered User Junior Member
    "Because they got into an Ivy or MIT, or some school that's actually more recognizable than UVA."

Hah! Very funny! Actually, probably all if not almost all have been accepted at the Ivies. And I'm not talking Cornell and Penn, I'm talking HYP and Columbia, and outside of the Ivies the Scholarship draws people away From Stanford and every small lib. arts college you could think of. Several people who are offered the Jefferson Scholarship each year will indeed turn it down for those schools, but you'll find at least as many who go the other way.
  • nagahnagah Posts: 94Registered User Junior Member
    i thought that comment sounded a little funny too....i know alot of people from out of state that got into quite a few Ivy schools and either got rejected from or waitlisted at UVA
  • jiajia Posts: 46Registered User Junior Member
    I turned down Yale for the Jefferson scholarship... did you get it? I'm Jia Tolentino, we might've crossed paths if you were up there for selection weekend. But yeah, I'm taking it, and it was my impression that most if not all of the kids who got it were accepted to Ivies.
  • LonghornLonghorn Posts: 31Registered User New Member
    Would you tell me the difference between Jefferson and Echols scholarships? Thanks.
  • 1sokkermom1sokkermom Posts: 3,515Registered User Senior Member
    Echols has no $$$ associted with it.
  • cavalier302cavalier302 Posts: 4,343Registered User Senior Member
    The Jefferson scholarship is not given by the University and carries no benefits that are directly supported by the university. It includes a full tuition+room+board stipend for 4 years plus a few other assorted benefits. Echols Scholars, on the other hand, are recognized by the university and are given certain benefits, but receive no money.
  • drummerdude_07drummerdude_07 Posts: 1,345Registered User Senior Member
    Is this Jefferson scholarship need-based? And could I get it if applying from out of state?
  • cavalier302cavalier302 Posts: 4,343Registered User Senior Member
    It is purely merit based, and yes, you can receive it as an out-of-state student. The scholarships are given out by the alumni association.
  • hoosfunhoosfun Posts: 69Registered User Junior Member
  • GlobalistGlobalist Posts: 1,571Registered User Senior Member
    Here's a link about the incoming class of Jefferson Scholars:

http://www.jeffersonscholars.org/news/currentnews.html
  • GlobalistGlobalist Posts: 1,571Registered User Senior Member
    Congrats Jia!

I just came from a meeting at the Jeff Scholarship office, and everyone is very excited about you. One person even remarked that you're the "best read 16 year old he'd ever met." Welcome to UVa, and wahoowa!!!