Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

missing persons announcement

WuTangForevaWuTangForeva Posts: 525- Member
edited November 2009 in University of Virginia
So ... are things like this fairly common ... are these people generally found? Or do they get found inside walls like the Yale graduate student?
Post edited by WuTangForeva on

Replies to: missing persons announcement

• hazelorbhazelorb Posts: 3,161Registered User Senior Member
    This is my fourth year and it is the first time I have received one of these. It is shocking.
  • GlobalistGlobalist Posts: 1,571Registered User Senior Member
    I hope they find that Virginia Tech student. Was she at JPJ for a game or show? I'm wondering if there was anyone who went with her.
  • Dean JDean J Posts: 3,860College Rep Senior Member
    I think she might have been at JPJ for a Metallica concert.
    I just got this from my newsfeed via FB:
    Police Still Seeking Public’s Help in Locating Missing Person

RICHMOND – Virginia State Police and University of Virginia (UVA) Police are following up on numerous leads regarding the joint investigation into the disappearance and whereabouts of a Virginia Tech student.

Local and state police have been searching for Morgan Dana Harrington, 20, of Roanoke County, Va., since she was reported missing by her parents Sunday, Oct. 18, 2009. Miss Harrington was last seen Saturday night, Oct. 17, 2009. On Saturday, Miss Harrington and a friend had traveled from Virginia Tech to James Madison University in Harrisonburg, Va., to meet up with a friend. They then traveled to John Paul Jones Arena at UVA in Charlottesville, Va., to attend a music concert that same evening.

During the course of the concert, she became separated from her friends and was unable to reunite with them. Miss Harrington was last seen wearing a black T-shirt with “Pantera” written on the front in tan letters. She also had on a black mini-skirt with black tights and knee-high black boots. She is 5 feet 6 inches tall and weighs approximately 120 pounds with blond hair and blue eyes. Miss Harrington does not have an identification or her cell phone with her.

Miss Harrington is currently a junior at Virginia Tech in Blacksburg, Va., majoring in education.The public is still encouraged to call or e-mail with any information concerning Miss Harrington and/or her whereabouts. Virginia State Police can be reached (434) 352-3435 or by e-mail at bci-appomattox@vsp.virginia.gov. UVA Police can be reached at (434) 924-7166.
  • HighlandMomHighlandMom Posts: 1,009Registered User Senior Member
    Police need help finding missing Virginia Tech student - Roanoke.com

This article says her purse and cell phone were found outside the venue.

I wonder why her friends didn't report her missing that evening? This article says her dad reported her missing the following day (Sunday).

http://www.whsv.com/news/headlines/64732882.html
  • chuychuy Posts: 3,913Registered User Senior Member
    Who knows. They could have assumed she met some other people and went out to a party with some people she met/already knew (she's from VA so she probably has some friends at UVA) or something. I know that if I went to a concert at a college campus and couldn't find my friend after the show something like this would be the last thing I'd think of.
  • barronsbarrons Posts: 23,784Registered User Senior Member
    Hmmmmm, a show that would attract every dirtball methfreak and druggie from Central Virginia. Not a place to meet strangers to "party". Use your head girl. Stay with your friends.
  • vistanyvistany Posts: 870Registered User Member
    I heard on the news last night that they found her purse and cell but the battery was taken out. Probably to eliminate the phone from pinging the cell tower.

I know this stuff happens on every campus but I hated hearing it on CNN about our school.
    Yeah, well I guess that's the risk that we take when we host huge shows (in this case a heavy metal concert) that are attended by mostly non-UVA students. You don't know what types of people will be attending...from the regular fans to the crazies.

It's so weird that she disappeared without anyone seeing her. Plus, why did she go outside and leave her friends without telling them what she was up to? It's always good to be careful. Either she decided just to leave or something must have happened right when she went outside.

I hope the police find her soon.
  • Dean JDean J Posts: 3,860College Rep Senior Member
    Obviously, the information is coming from different sources right now, but there was a press conference this afternoon that revealed a few more details.
    Lt. Rader says police have interviewed Morgan’s friends as well as people who saw Morgan either inside JPJ or outside the arena. They can confirm that Morgan was on the grounds outside JPJ until at least 9:30pm Saturday night. Police say Morgan exited the concert for reasons unknown and due to the John Paul Jones arena policy, was not allowed to re-enter the venue. Police have confirmed that Morgan contacted her friends while she was outside the arena to let them know she would be unable to re-enter the concert, which was the last known contact Morgan had with her friends.

The local CBS station seems to be providing a lot of detail on their site and on Twitter: UPDATE: Police Conclude Ground Search of JPJ; No Clues at This Point
  • WuTangForevaWuTangForeva Posts: 525- Member
    If you spent that much on a ticket and couldn't get back in, presumably you might want to make up for it with a really wild (but potentially sketchy?) party.
  • barronsbarrons Posts: 23,784Registered User Senior Member
    I doubt any major concert venues allow re-admission once you exit. There is no fault attributable to UVa for this incident and I doubt any UVa students will be involved. There are plenty of sketchy people living in all the small towns and cities of central Virginia. And a Metallica show would attract hordes of them.
  • vistanyvistany Posts: 870Registered User Member
    I hope the police find her soon.

Its been a week and no new information. Crap.
  • KandKsmomKandKsmom Posts: 1,173Registered User Senior Member
    The Richmond Times Dispatch reported this morning that there is now a 100K reward for news leading to her return. This story is heartbreaking. Personally, I am a bit put off by some posters insinuating that this apparent abduction is related to the type of concert that she went to. It could have happened after a DMB concert, U2, etc. Anywhere with anyone playing. I feel so sorry for her family.
  • sdmattsdmatt Posts: 111Registered User Junior Member
    Think about what the girl is going through right now, or if shes dead.

some of you PRICKS are more concerned with the reputation of the school or what she should have been doing, she did nothing wrong.

some of you need to get a taste of what the real world is actually like