Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Average first-year GPA?

CruellaDeVilCruellaDeVil Posts: 7Registered User New Member
edited December 2009 in University of Virginia
Are there any statistics on what the average GPA for first-year undergrads is?
Post edited by CruellaDeVil on

Replies to: Average first-year GPA?

• Dean JDean J Posts: 3,784College Rep Senior Member
    Are you looking for the average GPA of students after their first year at UVa or a statistic about high school GPA?
  • CruellaDeVilCruellaDeVil Posts: 7Registered User New Member
    Ops, I forgot to specify.
    I would like to know the average GPA of students after their first-year at UVA.
    So the average semester GPA is 3.2?? But that is so low!!
  • powderpuffpowderpuff Posts: 781Registered User Member
    Wow, Hazelorb, how do you do it!>You have a link for almost everything!
    Cruella, I too was a little bit floored with this information. UVA is a fairly tough school though, IMO, and now I see these GPA's and realize that I was correct in my own assessment of the difficulty of this university.
    My GPA is higher than these averages, but I must say that I study VERY hard. I do have an outside life though and am very happy, but when it comes to school work there really is no wiggle room.
    Well I wanted to know the average GPA, because I was worried that mine is too low, but now... Phew!
    Not sure how to interpret your message, are you trying to transfer?
    Obviously, I don't really know what your goals are, but I caution that though the GPA's may appear "too low", this is a very good, but tough school. Someone coming from a school with grade inflation might be sorely readjusted in thought process to UVA's Academical rigor.
    (Realizing you are not at UVA, just to let you know "Academical" is a Jefferson term for his "village")
    Gotta love TJ!
  • hazelorbhazelorb Posts: 3,104Registered User Senior Member
    my secret is that i've already answered all of these questions at least once since 2004, so i just go to google and i type site:talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-virginia and search for what i want.
    how i got the links in the first place, well, i am a TA for the cs dept. so computers and i get along pretty well. :) that site (the data digest) is my favorite uva site ever. i wish every university had one. i tried to find that kind of info for upenn for a friend and i totally failed.
    as far as gpa's, dean's list is a 3.4, so if you get there you know you're above average. i have a 3.7, but i completely give curry school the credit for that amazing number. i had a 3.3 my first semester and a 3.4 my second semester so don't worry, grades do go up pretty decently after first year.
    also, a low gpa skews that number more than somewhat higher gpa's, and there are significant numbers of people to push the average down.
    @powderpuff - No I don't intend to transfer. I wanted to know where I stand in comparison to the rest.
    Hazel, since 2004? Thanks for all your information over many years! I just finished my last exam today. My roommate is gone, all my friends are gone and I'm just feeling dizzy as I take that deep breath associated with finishing Finals. Sleep will be so appreciated tonight.

PS: Last exam for this semester (many miles before I sleep)
    "I wanted to know where I stand in comparison to the rest."

Gotcha, best of luck!
    i just finished my last exam this morning too. but now i have to grade the exams for the class i ta for. living in brown does mean that people are here all break long. it's nice.
    By the way are people included in the Dean's list after the end of the whole year (if their gpa is > or = 3.4) or an admission to that list is possible after your first semester too?
    dean's list is by semester and indicated on your transcript.