Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

UW Financial Aid Status

themusiciangirlthemusiciangirl Posts: 55Registered User Junior Member
edited March 2012 in University of Washington
I was admitted to UW as an OOS freshman student. I recently checked my financial aid status on the MyUW portal and under the 2nd tab (Resources Review/Update), it said that my total resources were 15k. What does that even mean? Are the "total resources" loans or scholarships? It doesn't specify... it only says "total resources".
Also, when I click the 3rd tab (Messages), one of the messages says, "At this time, you have no awards for this aid year."
I am utterly confused. Help? Thanks!
Post edited by themusiciangirl on

Replies to: UW Financial Aid Status

• xPeppyxPeppy Posts: 19Registered User New Member
    UW doesn't send out aid information till around mid-april...the 15k you're seeing is probably your EFC. Total resources are a sum of all the scholarships, loans, and other aid you receive. I think you're supposed to update the resource list as you receive money.
  • KayleyFCKayleyFC Posts: 164Registered User Junior Member
    Yes, the total resources is your EFC.

This is the formula, as presented on the UW financial aid website:
    Cost (Student's Budget)
    - Student's Resources (the Total Resources you're seeing)
    = Financial Need/Maximum Eligibility

For example, my total resources says $1,217 and my expected student expenses is $25,696, so I should receive about $24,479 in financial aid.

Since yours says $15,000, you should receive your expected student expense (I'm not sure how much it is for OOS) minus $15,000 in financial aid.

The numbers aren't definite, though; they can change. This'll just give you an idea of how much you might get if your financial situation remains the same.

The actual awards and award amounts have not been posted yet.
  • themusiciangirlthemusiciangirl Posts: 55Registered User Junior Member
    Oh okay thank you both!! That certainly clears things up. I thought I was only receiving $15,000 for financial aid. Thanks and congrats to you guys for getting in too!