Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

OOS Tuition Transfer from Community College

YoMoeeYoMoee Posts: 15Registered User New Member
edited November 2012 in University of Washington
Every time I bring up the subject of me transferring to a school OOS my parents, mom in particular, shoots the idea down because of the cost
My stats
-Attend Middlesex County College
-2.9 H.S GPA; was focused on trying to play college basketball :(
-4.0 GPA; Computer Science major Sophomore standing
-Phi Theta Kappa member
-Reignited the National Society for Black Engineers (NSBE) chapter; President
-Computer Science Club, a branch of NSBE (In connection to NSBE acting as a club on campus); President
-Over 300 volunteer tutor hours in Algebra, Precalculus, Calculus 1, Calculus 2, Intro to CS, Data Structures, theres more but thats what people usually need help in.
-At the forefront of fundraiser for future Engineering and Sciences majors, and recognition of these subjects in HS's in my area with help of Town Council; ongoing
-Born in Nakuru Kenya and moved when I was 5 y/o.
-Was a permanent resident of U.S until I was 18 y/o (19 now).

I don't want to turn this into a "What are my chances of acceptance", I need financial aid.
According to UW's website I'll only receive about $4100 in federal aid. Rutgers doesn't foster students with interest in human-computer interaction or artificial intelligence. I would love to go to Rutgers but thats holding me back, I plan on going to grad school. Although Rutgers offers 8k a year to successful transfer students UW is much more competitive in Computer Science and would satisfy my want for a HCI or AI concentration with more ease. Does the NASA Community College transfer scholarship apply to OOS CC students as well. My mom is very close-minded about this subject as she believes I'm going to fail my classes if I transfer OOS :( she also thinks I'm going to come out of school without any debt . My father on the other hand is willing to take out loans to fund me through school. Should I resort to taking out loans, or does UW offer scholarships to OOS students. Any insight is greatly appreciated.
Post edited by YoMoee on

Replies to: OOS Tuition Transfer from Community College

• seatacseatac Posts: 564Registered User Member
    Have you tried to contact a UW adviser yet? I would do that.

This forum does have people who might help you, but they might not know everything :)
  • YoMoeeYoMoee Posts: 15Registered User New Member
    I think I'm about to do just that. I can't wait for tomorrow to come now I'm calling first chance I get :)

Sent from my ADR6350 using CC
  • speedsolverspeedsolver Posts: 1,859Registered User Senior Member
    Chat with the CSE advisors, too! There are some financial aid opportunities within the department that you may be able to take advantage of.