Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Is it possible to take 20 credits in the summer?

ehs2011ehs2011 Posts: 16Registered User New Member
edited May 2010 in University of Washington
This summer I was thinking of taking Physics 121 and Chinese Intensive for non-heritage learners. I will be a senior in high school in the fall btw. Is it even possible to do this workload? (20 credits total) The Physics course is 5 credits and the Chinese course is 15 credits.
Post edited by ehs2011 on

Replies to: Is it possible to take 20 credits in the summer?

• aylagatoraylagator Posts: 73Registered User Junior Member
    Probably- anything is possible if you put your mind to it. But I would strongly urge you not to. I'm taking 19 credits right now (I'm a 3.95 college student accepted to the UW for summer continuing into fall) and I am struggling to maintain my As. I am in span 2 right now and I'm taking intensive spanish during the summer. Even with my spanish background I'm not going to take more than 15 credits. I'll post a link to my courses website when I get home- there's about 3 hours worth of homework each night in addition to the 3.5 hours of class.
    Oh! And I just realized this will be your first college experience. Don't take 20 credits. College is a lot different from high school. You don't want to ruin your college transcript this early by getting a bad grade.
  • ehs2011ehs2011 Posts: 16Registered User New Member
    I took 4 AP courses this year and one honors course and was able to handle that just fine (with two varsity sports and a lot of leadership positions in clubs). Does that make a difference or would I still probably not be able to earn satisfactory grades in the courses?
    You are the best judge of what you can handle. Here is the link to Span134's website: SPAN 134- Destinos
  • sunny09sunny09 Posts: 48Registered User Junior Member
    Ummm I feel the need to chime in :) I took a lot of IB in high school and I was also involved in volunteering and sports and what not. High school is nothing compared to the work load in college. (Unless maybe you went to a private high school and took advanced classes...) Granted, I'm transferring from a smaller private university and haven't taken courses at UW yet. My college gpa is a 3.3 and my high school gpa was a 3.9 (just to give you an idea).

Nonetheless, it always depends on your effort and how the professor teaches the class. Your Chinese class might be accelerated, but maybe you're really good at it at and it's super easy for you. Oh, and trust me, once you start college it is likely a large part of you will be more interested in meeting people rather than studying.. so just keep that in mind :)
  • diniefofiniediniefofinie Posts: 48Registered User Junior Member
    i'm going to chime in as well!

I agree that high school is nothing like college, high school is much more lenient, your teachers hold your hands practically the whole way and they teach at a much slower pace. Also, in high school you get individual attention from your teachers, and you will most likely not speak one-on-one with your university professor, they will walk in, lecture, and leave.

Plus the pace is much faster in college, I was in running start and one quarter in college counted for a year's worth of credits in high school (to give you an idea). Also, summer courses are shorter than other quarters, so even if you could handle say 15 credits in the fall, it's much harder in the summer. I would take it slow

I've been able to maintain a 3.97 gpa in high school and college but I've really had to ramp up my studying and had a lot of sleepless nights, as a rule of thumb I never took more than 5 credits in the summer because i didn't want to burn out and not have any energy for the long and hard year to come. Especially being your first quarter I would test the waters first to see a good balance for yourself.

Most importantly, even if you could (and you seem very intelligent so you probably could) take these courses and still do great, it would be so unnecessarily stressful and I wouldn't want to put myself through such a difficult and discouraging first quarter especially during a time when you just want to relax and enjoy the sun!

good luck! : )
    I completely agree with everything Sunny and Dinie had to say.

That being said- I am putting off writing a 10 page research paper that is due on Sunday. =/
  • sunny09sunny09 Posts: 48Registered User Junior Member
    Okay so I must chime in a second time. Just to look at it in a different perspective, it's really nice to take it easy in the summer and take, let's say one class. But if you're not commuting and you're living on campus, is it really worth it to take so little credits when you're paying over $1,000, sometimes almost $2,000 depending if you have a single room, for on campus housing? I think you always want to get your money's worth. But at the same time don't burn yourself out with an overload of classes. Okay I will leave it at that. Good luck! :)
    I just paid for my housing yesterday- $2200 for a double. Its not cheap by any means. But its also not cheap to pay for 20 credits only to get Cs in your classes
    Thank you for your responses!

I would be commuting and would thus not have to pay for housing.

I have another question. I'm having trouble understanding how the Chinese course is structured. When it says "QZ" on the time schedule, what does that mean? I'm asking because I noticed that Physics 121 and the Chinese courses (the parts that list the number of credits next to the name) are at the same time. I know that for Physics there is a Lab and Tutorial section that I have to do, but is it similar for Chinese (or any other language, for that matter)? Thank you again! I appreciate it!
  • MD MomMD Mom Posts: 6,728Registered User Senior Member
    This is a bad idea. The Chinese or physics alone would be intensive. If you do not have a solid Chinese foundation before you start, it is a very difficult language. There is no overlap as you would have with Spanish, French or German.

I have no idea what the QZ is. Without being familiar with the college you will attend, it is impossible to speculate how it is structured. However, languages often have labs. D's language course during her freshman year had two hours of lecture each week and five hours of recitation (though they called it something else). In her summer language program, she will earn 10 credits over 10 weeks and is in class from nine to four with a lunch break. She is not doing anything else and has a year studying the language behind her.

If you can pull this off, you will be utterly burned out by the time school starts in the fall. Just my two cents.
    I believe QZ stands for quiz. In other words that's the time slot where you will be taking quizzes (normally administered by a TA). You need to sign up for both the lecture and quiz portion.

Take everyone's advice and take no more than 15 credits.
    After reading all of these posts, I am most definitely not going to do Physics, regardless of whether it would have fit into my schedule or not. I will take everyone's advice and just do 15 credits. Thank you so much for your help, everyone!