Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Dropping an AP class...

gbpackgbpack Posts: 1Registered User New Member
I was wondering how likely it is that my admission would be rescinded after changing my 2nd semester AP Lit class for Creative Writing (not weighted). I called UW and they couldn't give me an answer beyond what they say on the website (that a course change may jeopardize an offer of admissions-basically do it at your own risk). I was accepted back in November and I am still taking 4 weighted classes this semester. I might be making something out of nothing, but I just thought I'd ask.
Post edited by gbpack on

Replies to: Dropping an AP class...

• DroughtDrought Posts: 807Registered User Member
    Why the hell would you do that?
  • BatlloBatllo Posts: 3,047- Senior Member
    Not worth the risk of losing your spot at UW. Suck it up, stick it out, go the distance-the end is in sight.
  • Madison85Madison85 Posts: 1,605Registered User Senior Member
    My son (a current UW-Madison freshman) changed his 2nd semester high school English class from a Lit class to a Creative Writing class. He emailed UW-Madison admissions in May and provided a reason why he changed his course. Here's part of his email:

"I substituted a class with more emphasis on writing skills, in order to become even better prepared for college. The class is called "Advanced and Creative Writing".

This is the response:

Thank you for contacting the Office of Admissions at the University of
    > Wisconsin-Madison. We have received your email regarding your course
    > change and have printed it so it can be added to your application file.
    >
    > If you have any further questions or concerns, feel free to contact us
    > again.

I think it is okay to change your class as long as you provide a logical reason, and as you stated, you still have 4 other weighted (AP or Honors) classes.
  • wis75wis75 Posts: 8,208Registered User Senior Member
    A change that maximizes your education sounds better than sticking with a class. You will still have the same number of academic credits, ie you are not dropping and taking a study hall. If the reason to switch is that you are not doing well in the AP class it is better that you substitute a course you will learn more in. It is not about the transcript but about you learning and enjoying your final HS semester.
  • Madison85Madison85 Posts: 1,605Registered User Senior Member
    News: Senior Change Policy - Office of Admissions at the University of Wisconsin-Madison

Information from the admissions website on notification regarding a course change.