Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Will she fit in?

pipmompipmom Registered User Posts: 1,097 Junior Member
edited January 2008 in Vanderbilt University
My d has applied to Vanderbilt and we are planning to visit in a few weeks. She is absolutely NOT a fashionista or sorority type person. She is sociable, but would not enjoy going to drinking parties. She wears jeans all the time and doesn't wear makeup. She has a great sense of humor and is willing to try new things- she's just one of those idealists who believes what's inside a person is more important than the exterior facade. She also has no interest in sports. Could she fit in to the Vandy scene??
Post edited by pipmom on

Replies to: Will she fit in?

• kelqukelqu Registered User Posts: 73 Junior Member
    of course....that is just like me.....i do not plan to drink in college....and I absolutely hate makeup..i believe that vanderbilt has a group for everybody....she seems like they type of person i would get along with....lol...
  • dntw8updntw8up Registered User Posts: 1,594 Senior Member
    Vanderbilt is large enough that most people can find a group. Your daughter would be in the minority among the women there but by no means alone.
  • midmomidmo Registered User Posts: 3,720 Senior Member
    It is my son who is a student at Vanderbilt, not my daughter, but I'd say he is the male equivalent of your daughter. Not a drinker and could not--literally--care less about clothes. He might attend a sports function just to hang out with his friends, but let's hope no one expects him to offer a knowledgeable assessment of the game. He has found a large group of friends and likes Vanderbilt a lot.

Your daughter should keep an open mind when she visits. I'll bet she likes what she sees.
    BTW, I just noticed that you are from Houston. There are a lot of kids from Texas at Vanderbilt. Every other parent I spoke with at move-in-weekend was from Texas.
  • icy9ff8icy9ff8 - Posts: 1,605 Senior Member
    pipmom: Visited Vanderbilt two years ago with my son and wife. Spoke at length with two female students neither of whom wore make-up or drank. Both loved Vanderbilt. Also met several other students and some parents, all very non-Southern Belle types and all, without exception, had only praise for Vandy. Where else is your daughter applying? Did you visit other schools? Middlebury College, Northwestern University, Dartmouth College, Harvard Univ. and several others that we visited "sound" as if they may match what you & your daughter are seeking in a university ( although drinking is an issue at Middlebury and Dartmouth). Georgetown & Stanford were also great experiences. Several schools, however, were not, but I would rather respond to your questions rather than to discuss our non-matches. Also loved Chicago & Davidson. Word to the wise: If Vandy asks your daughter to fill out a scholarship application, it is best to do so. Our son absolutely refused to do it and, as he was away, I had to explain why.
  • venturaventura Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    Your daughter sounds like lots of my friends, and even me now considering that my once beloved high heels have turned into *gasp* a good pair of boots or tennis shoes. There is something here for everyone. Best of luck to your daughter!
  • kelsmomkelsmom Super Moderator Posts: 14,410 Super Moderator
    My D spent time on Vandy's campus a couple months ago. She saw plenty of girls walking around in jeans with no make up. She asked random students how they liked the school & if they had any complaints. She found that everyone loved the school and no one had complaints. She talked to girls like your daughter (who sounds like my daughter). The bottom line is that your D will fit in just fine.
  • UNEPgirlUNEPgirl Registered User Posts: 189 Junior Member
    I'm so glad to hear there are others applying with the same concerns as me - it sounds like I wouldn't be as out-of-place as I thought :)
  • pipmompipmom Registered User Posts: 1,097 Junior Member
    Thanks so much- I feel so much better now. She has applied to a range of schools from most selective to safety- UT Austin. UT is the largest school on her list and she applied only because it is a safety for her- really doesn't want to go to a large large school. I am hoping she likes Vanderbilt- she was asked to apply for the Cornelius Vanderbilt scholarship and has done so.
  • JohnC613JohnC613 Registered User Posts: 1,580 Senior Member
    so this greek-life dominant, hip-fashion southern belle image of the Vandy social scene is overblown? I hope so. As a guy, being surrounded by a herd of shallow, appearance driven, unintellectual girls would disappoint me. This thread has really reassured me a bit.
  • kelsmomkelsmom Super Moderator Posts: 14,410 Super Moderator
    There are some of those, to be sure. However, there are plenty of nonstereotypical girls to be found. Enough that the girls who aren't stereotypical will feel comfortable ... and enough that the guys who like the nonstereotypical girl should be happy!
  • Vandy08Vandy08 Registered User Posts: 48 Junior Member
    I'm a senior and a member of a sorority: YES, that stereotype is overblown ... in the sense that the image implies the girls are "shallow" and "airheads."

Remember: it's a stereotype.
  • venturaventura Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    John-
    Ignore this 'cd' person, IF he is indeed a student at Vanderbilt he is embarrassing the university and for some reason trying very hard to perpetuate a stereotype.
    Only you will know what is right for you. At Vanderbilt, as I have said before, there is something for everyone. I have friends from around the world, literally. I noticed that you are from Ohio-I've met many, many people from Ohio, the northeast, and definitely Texas.
    There are people here who study 24/7, others that don't, brilliant people who are as nice as they are smart, sporty people, people who don't like sports, people who have never had a drop of alcohol...I could go on forever.
    Most of my professors love teaching and treat everyone, even undergrads, with the utmost respect-and are willing to do whatever they can to help you. Even in the few large classes that I've had, accessibility was never a problem.
    The Commons is going to be wonderful for the incoming freshmen and, in my humble opinion, propel our university forward.
    Please visit, if at all possible, and if you cannot visit talk to alumni in your area.
    Best of luck to you as well, I am sure you will do fine whatever your decision!
    The "cd" person's post has miraculously disappeared. Thank you, moderators.

vandy 08, thank you for the reminder that relying on negative stereotypes is unfair and, in the end, unfortunate for all concerned.
  • TruthfuLieTruthfuLie Registered User Posts: 362 Member
    What was this "cd" person's post about? i wish i could have seen it!
This discussion has been closed.