Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Cornelius Vanderbilt Scholar vs MIT or Purdue

hello1991hello1991 Posts: 46Registered User Junior Member
edited April 2012 in Vanderbilt University
So I just found out that I got the Cornelius Vanderbilt Scholarship. I want to go into investment banking. I know MIT Sloan would probably be the best choice if other factors didn't matter, but how would majoring in Econ at Vanderbilt with the scholarship compare to Sloan or majoring in the highly-ranked industrial management program at Purdue (also on full ride scholarship)?

Is Vanderbilt's econ program well-known or highly-ranked? Can it get me far in ibanking?
Post edited by hello1991 on

Replies to: Cornelius Vanderbilt Scholar vs MIT or Purdue

• The_Chronic_420The_Chronic_420 Posts: 167Registered User Junior Member
    Purdue sucks. Straight up.
  • hello1991hello1991 Posts: 46Registered User Junior Member
    But US News ranks Purdue's Operations/Production Management as #2!
    So how does this compare to Econ at Vanderbilt??
  • ModernChemModernChem Posts: 368Registered User Member
    MIT is your best bet, if money wasn't a factor. If you are going to go into lots of debt to go to MIT, i'd say go to vandy. If not I would pick MIT. just my 2 cents
  • Kyo***Kyo*** Posts: 195Registered User Junior Member
    i lived right next to purdue before and it sucks bad
    and it is mostly known for engineering and such not econ really
    i would definitely go to vanderbilt ...just a good school in general
    and MIT too expensive
  • nhsharvardnhsharvard Posts: 1,947Registered User Senior Member
    If I were you, I would choose MIT as long as you visit the campus and make sure it's a good fit. In fact, you should visit all the colleges you got into. From what I've heard, the campus is great and the professors are top notch.

I was in a somewhat similar situation as you. Last year, I had to choose between Berkeley and a full ride at CSULB. Obviously, I chose Berkeley, but I realized that neither Berkeley or CSULB offered what I wanted, a small campus.
    Yeah, I live right by Purdue as well. So, you guys would say that a Vanderbilt econ graduate would be competitive in investment banking? What about compared to the Business Honors Program at University of Texas Austin?
    ohhh hello1991 do you go to WL?
  • ilovetosleep2005ilovetosleep2005 Posts: 13Registered User New Member
    Does Purdue really suck that badly?
    yeah i do go there! No, Purdue isn't really that bad
    ilovetosleep2005 well, for instate it is not that bad, cheap, good engineering school... but i dont think it is worth there for out of state ppl. just go to ur instate instead.
    oh also hello1991
    if you have gotten into Texas business honors program
    i would recommend THAT instead of vanderbilt.
    personally i think texas MBA is way much better than vanderbilt...bigger school more prestige annd such
  • 2VU06092VU0609 Posts: 1,818Registered User Senior Member
    Did I miss something reading this thread? Why is Kyo discussing masters level programs? Most people go to different schools for their masters than for the undergraduate degree. There is discussion of Vanderbilt students and their success in investment banking in earlier threads. I wouldn't want to make any decisions based on what the current job climate is for members of the class of '09. D told me about a month ago that she only knows 3 people who have secured a job. I think all were in finance related fields. One is going to work for BOA and got a nice signing bonus.
    That said, I know that business is a top program at UT. The first few years I taught I used a text written by a UT accounting prof. They have the reputation as being one of the top accounting programs in the country.
    well 2VU0609
    most of the time depends on how good that school's graduate program is
    it pretty much determines how good the undergraduate program is going to be also.
    That said, compared to vanderbilt, i think texas is going to be better in business.
  • dbeardbear Posts: 490Registered User Member
    MIT if ever given the opportunity
    is that a joke?! MIT MIT MIT!!!
  • leighearthleighearth Posts: 25Registered User New Member
    How about between Purdue and Vanderbilt University? A full ride for Vanderbilt but a $13,000 for Purdue per year for engineering? please help me to decide.Thank ahead for your insight. I am into computer engineering or electric engineering.