Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Vassar Life

ilyasaber14ilyasaber14 Posts: 318Registered User Member
edited October 2006 in Vassar College
I have recently recieved a Vassar Viewbook, and it appears to be a very very nice school to go to. After reading the Viewbook, i noticed they kept emphasizing "Fun" throught out the book, and i was wondering if some vassar students could describe a typical day at vassar? It is just interesting for me to see such a good college attempting (and possibly succeeding) to create a balanced between education and socialization.
Post edited by ilyasaber14 on

Replies to: Vassar Life

• ceruleanyankeeceruleanyankee Posts: 176Registered User Junior Member
    Even though I don't go to Vassar (bf does) I can try to answer your question since there aren't too many Vassarians on CC. I don't think any college can give you a 'typical day' - the variety of people and what they might do is far too great. You will probably have a few classes (between 1-3 at Vassar, from what I've seen), and then some sort of extracurricular - sport, music, club - and then read/do work the rest of the night when you aren't hanging out with your friends pre/post dinner. From what I saw when I visited (3-4 times/yr) it really seemed that there was a good balance of work/socialization - at least where he lived, everyone was very friendly and did other things beyond work. I think that is fairly typical of any school, though - you might visit and just see the people that study all of the time/party all the time, when in actuality 90% of the students will fall between those two extremes.
    On a whole, though, I found Vassar to have a strong sense of community and many 'fun' options when I visited, so I wouldn't worry about everyone being so serious about work all of the time, if that's your concern.
    Hope this helps!
  • UnusualSatireUnusualSatire Posts: 247Registered User Junior Member
    is it competitive?
  • ceruleanyankeeceruleanyankee Posts: 176Registered User Junior Member
    What do you mean?
  • kayrliskayrlis Posts: 268Registered User Junior Member
    I think UnusualSatire means-
    are the students super competitive? Like, are they unwilling to help, withhold info from other students, that sort of thing.

From what I've seen, they seem pretty chill at Vassar. That's what I'm hoping for. I'm competitive, but I'm not mean about it. I will help you if you ask for help, but I still try to do the absolute best I can.
  • tikibutikibu Posts: 60Registered User Junior Member
    vassar is literally in my backyard...poughkeepsie is not a fun town but not boring...if u want to do something there is always something to do but its not overly exciting
  • completelymecompletelyme Posts: 13Registered User New Member
    I don't go to vassar; I actually go to the school started by vassar (yeah, we were originally their experiment), and of all the people that I know who go to vassar (I think 6 people from last year's graduating class of 30ish) none of them are overly competitive. It's a great place, even though poughkeepsie isn't the most exciting (doesn't everyone say that about where they live?) there's always something to do.

Ashlee

oh, and the "Cubbyhole" right on Raymond is great on Tuesday nights to kill time - 8pm-12am open mic night. It's also great for meeting people.
  • HoldenMCaulfieldHoldenMCaulfield Posts: 484Registered User Member
    ^uh, classes here have about 600-700 students in them, not 30ish...?
  • kee10kee10 Posts: 458Registered User Member
    the freshman class this year has 670 kids.
  • btlesgirlbtlesgirl Posts: 1,251Registered User Senior Member
    I think completelyme meant 6 of the kids graduating from her high school, which was started by Vassar.