Maryville College Visit Report by MissPickwickian
Visit to Maryville College in November 2009 by MissPickwickian(Student, HS Class of 2010)
(Member since August 12 2009 with 396 posts)
0 of 1 people found this visit report helpful
Information Session: Yes - My admissions officer was a young, energetic woman who answered all my questions with tact and sensitivity. She flattered me quite a bit. There was no pressure.
Campus Tour: Yes - It was a grim November day, but we made the most of it.
Friendliness/Courtesy of Students:
Friendliness/Courtesy of Staff:
Appearance of Campus:
Overall Campus Impression:
Area Immediately Around Campus:
Campus Visit Notes for Maryville College
Top 10 Things I Noticed About Maryville College That I Haven't Been Able To Mention:
1. There are two cafeterias; one is fast food-ish, while the other offers healthier buffet-style eating.
2. The library is tiny.
3. It's an easy campus to get around.
4. It's more liberal than one would expect (leftist bumper stickers on cars, lots of diversity-oriented extracurricular activities, a left-leaning newspaper).
5. The staff is happy to talk about all the supports Maryville has in place for LD students.
6. There is an adorable little workout room.
7. Staff members like to tell anecdotes that reveal how challenging the Maryville curriculum is (i.e. a student had to write a paper for a calculus class).
8. The college runs a Japanese kids' school on the weekends.
9. The bookstore is filled mostly with Maryville Scots swag rather than books.
10. Most of the admissions staff members are alumni or students, and school spirit seems to flow like wine.
Other Comments (Transportation, local attractions, parking, etc.):
If you're going to Maryville College for whatever reason, leave twenty minutes early. Roads around the school are often clogged, and parking places can be hard to find.