Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We've just launched our new college search tool at http://www.collegeconfidential.com/schools. Use the following form to provide feedback as we continue to work toward a more robust solution to best meet your needs: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/CCSearchSurvey

Animation vs. Game Design

13»

Replies to: Animation vs. Game Design

• colcon2010colcon2010 Registered User Posts: 323 Member
    << Jasper44 wrote: My daughter is making a similar decision-although she does not want game design she wants animation. The choices are to go to a school like Pratt, RISD and graduate with a fine arts degree or go to a school like RIT, RPI Carnegie Mellon, and graduate with a BS in something akin to media arts and if necessary finish with a masters in fine arts. Talk to Pratt obviously they say the fine arts is the way to go, talk to RIT, Bachelor of Science is the right way. ...Having spoken with a number of colleges there is not an emphasis on the "computer tools"-at least from schools like Pratt, Risd-they want the graduates to have a "strong foundation in art"
    Any ideas? >>

Hi, you got some great info on the differences between animation and game design. I think every college wants the kids to have a strong foundation in art, including, as taxguy said, strong drawing skills. In fact, I read an interview with someone from one of the big animation studios that they won't hire an animator who doesn't have strong drawing skills! I do have a question, though (and forgive me, I don't know about the programs in the schools you have mentioned). If your D is interested in animation, is she not planning to go to a college that offers animation as a major? If these schools don't offer animation it seems a difficult task to learn it in a 2 year (?) MFA program, and what if she doesn't like it? Just thinking out loud!
  • SudsieSudsie Registered User Posts: 494 Member
    For us, the question comes down to how much dd wants to concentrate on specific skills for a future career vs a liberal arts education, with the opportunity to explore areas of interest that may or may not pertain to getting a job in this field. For this reason, we have decided to explore only colleges with art or game design programs as opposed to free standing art schools. In addition, I see her interests evolving as we visit programs and speak with faculty and students. Originally she was sure she wanted to eventually be a concept artist/animator, now she wants to learn about other aspects of game design including creative writing and at least some coding. Obviously, leaving open more possibilities has the trade off of having less concentrated experience in pure art or animation--which we are ok with. Of course, everyone has to set their own priorities!
    Hi again gouf, Thanks so much for taking the time to share your observations. Very helpful! It's great to hear that your D is working in animation. I think my D would enjoy a collaborative effort like that, just not on the computer side. I think it's great that Ringling requires the kids to learn the programs and become proficient with computers, but for now her preference is to get her hands dirty! I could see her working on the tangential sides of animation, maybe even 3D modeling, or is that all done on computers (characters, sets, etc.)? Her atelier teacher said she has a talent for narrative and he could see her doing visual storytelling. I have observed in her a tremendous interest in art history and the back-back-stories to art; not just the artists but the historical contexts in which pieces were created. When she has free time, summers and vacations, she is always creating some kind of 3D project (masks, sculputres, costumes). So, it will be interesting to see where she lands! Your posts are helpful b/c they provide insight to opportunities that I don't even know exist! I will share them with D, along with your advice. What kind of internships did your D do while a student? Ringling is opening a digital studio with some big producers which I hope will provide opportunities for student internships across the majors. My D has gotten involved in some of the community service projects, her favorite being the toymaking project to raise funds for impoverished children (that 3D aspect again)!
    pumpkinking: Love the name!! Thanks to you, too, for such great advice. I'm saving your post for future reference! I appreciate the input from all of you in the field, or with kids who have gone through the programs.
  • JohnrichardJohnrichard Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    In games we require to produce animations that respond to gameplay, storytelling, blending both together and dealing with a few other things. Most animations are small and as they are combined to each other they make the character movement with attitude and confidence. looking more help visit: https://www.logoglaze.com/animated-video/
13»