Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. So far, the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook has helped more than 10K students choose a college, get in, and pay for it. Get your free copy: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM

Art School admission 2017

Replies to: Art School admission 2017

• lsichitiulsichitiu Registered User Posts: 68 Junior Member
    My daughter got accepted by Pratt, VCU, and KCAI. Still waiting to hear from SAIC, MICA, CALARTS, CCA, and Cooper but these last 3 she did not apply EA. There was no mention of scholarship in the letters so I wonder if she didn't get any, or if any scholarship or financial aid will arrive latter ?
  • JazzbutcherJazzbutcher Registered User Posts: 19 New Member
    This thread has been great reading. Thanks for everyone's feedback. My son is interested in animation/illustration and applied (or is applying) to the following schools:

CalArts
    Ringling
    Sheridan
    MICA
    SCAD
    University of the Arts
    RISD

So far we heard from UArts and SAIC, which both gave very generous scholarships. He had done a summer program at SCAD, and was also accepted there. No $ yet. Has anyone heard from RISD or MICA yet? CalArts was pretty tough at Portfolio Day. The guy we had needs to work on his bedside manner. It was pretty rude. The other schools were very complimentary.

Sheridan and CalArts undoubtedly have the most extensive portfolio requirements. It's brutal!
    My daughter heard from SAIC today with generous scholarship. She is elated since this is her favorite school. We have not hard from MICA yet.
  • mtmom2014mtmom2014 Registered User Posts: 138 Junior Member
    Just curious what level scholarships folks are talking about for SAIC? What is considered generous?
  • moonpiemoonpie Registered User Posts: 473 Member
    3 acceptances in 2 days!! SVA (with the Chancellors Merit Scholarship) and SAIC (with the Creative Honors Scholarship). She is over the moon, and we had no idea she would be offered so much money so early. SCAD called yesterday and said her packet is in the mail, and just wanted her to know before Christmas LOL. She has not stopped smiling
    @mtmom2014 SAIC was $71,400 and SVA was &50,000.... i feel very good about that (even spread over 4 years, it's awesome)
    Thank you for the info moonpie and congrats, that is amazing! It seems like these schools all accept a lot of students. Does anyone know the acceptance rates of some of the more well regarded programs? I am used to musical theater as my name indicates, where they took about 12 to 20 kids per school!
  • BrooklynRyeBrooklynRye Registered User Posts: 272 Junior Member
    @mtmom2014, I wondered about this as well when our daughter was applying. I think we have all been trained to believe that lower acceptance rates equate to more desirable schools. My guess is that at least part of the reason for the relatively high rates of acceptance at these art schools is because the applicant pool is significantly smaller than for mainstream liberal arts schools. LA schools are generalists and allow for some trial and error when it comes to academic direction. Dedicated art schools are much less forgiving. Yes, one can move around design programs and dabble in photography and illustration, but it's a pretty small universe. Tough to commit. Tough to always get parental support. And yet just as expensive if not more than typical undergrads. Also, schools are very good at projecting how many they need to accept to get the class size they want. Art schools have apparently found they need to accept a high percentage to narrow down to their desired entry level.
    My daughter is mostly interested in Animation, so her schools were tailored to that... she knows the rest will not notify until after February. But having some early acceptances with scholarships is making her feel a bit better. CalArts is still number 1, but she knows its a long shot! But she LOVED SVA, and they have a great program for animation, so she knows she has one with a scholarship!
    My daughter has been accepted to SCAD, SAIC and VCU. Not sure where my she wants to go. Waiting on RISD and UNCSA ( for Costume Design.). I have to say these early acceptances are so nice. The Musical Theater process is just terrible! I know everything about that track but absolutely nothing about art or art schools. Not even sure how to give her any guidance.
    @mtmom2014 my daughter's scholarship from SAIC is $88,200 ( Distinguished Merit Scholarship). I think that is at about half the tuition. Still waiting to hear from MICA, CCA and Cooper. Also still waitng to hear from Pratt, VCU and KCAI about any scholarship.
    My daughter is my oldest, so this is the first time for us in the application process. My husband and I went to school in a different country, so we are not familiar with any kind of college application, let alone arts school. College Confidential was a wealth of knowledge! I found out about NPD here, and I think that was such a great thing since my daughter's portfolio changed dramatically after that, and it seems in a good way. It is also here that I found out about summer pre-college programs.
    I am so thankful to the members that, even though have kids that are already in college, still return to this board to advise the novice parents @BrooklynRye , @JBStillFlying , @spoonyj and others!
  • JazzbutcherJazzbutcher Registered User Posts: 19 New Member
    My son's scholarship to SAIC was 63k and scholarship to UArts was 100k.
  • gouf78gouf78 Registered User Posts: 5,368 Senior Member
    The acceptance rate into computer animation at Ringling is about 10 per cent. You may be offered admission to other majors if you don't make it.
    Such awesome scholarships!!! What great news!!! Congrats to everyone!
    Pratt gave my daughter $21,000/year , prety much the same with SAIC. VCU gave my daughter a sticker ( decal ) :)) :)) :))