Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

FSU Film School - 2016

Replies to: FSU Film School - 2016

• loribaleloribale Registered User Posts: 53 Junior Member
    Thank you @WWWard!
  • WWWardWWWard Registered User Posts: 1,558 Senior Member
    You're welcome. Glad to help.
  • cruzanladycruzanlady Registered User Posts: 22 New Member
    @WWWard --thanks for sharing your daughter's experience. Fingers crossed she's one of the 20 and she gets to decide between that and USC. I know it will be a nerve wracking wait.
    @cruzanlady you're welcome.

Yes... the waiting game (torture) is always the worst part. In my daughter's case, she applied to most of her colleges back in early August. So her wait has been on-going now for over 6 mos so far.

We hear that USC mails out the packets on March 23rd, with portal updates online likely beginning the 25th. FSU says that the final decisions will be made by April 1st, but I likely suspect that the decisions initially - to the first 20 - will being announced sooner... maybe in mid-March. As hard as it is to become one of the 20... from an initial application pool of over 500... the truth is that not all 20 will likely even commit to FSU MPA if admitted. Some will have financial concerns or then have to compare such an offer to others. My daughter would likely only turn down an FSU MPA admission if she was also admitted to USC SCA.

But even some who get into USC SCA (which admits less than 4%) ultimately go elsewhere - due to cost considerations, etc. Its yield rate is among the highest for all the schools at USC, but is still only like 80%.

But that would be a great choice for my daughter or any applicant to get to make... if it comes down to those two options. It seems like some applicants at FSU yesterday already were admitted to other great schools like Emerson, Chapman, Loyal Marymount, UTexas, etc. And by April 1st, NYU & UCLA will also be announcing their decisions too. The reality is that there are a host of great college options out there for those interested in film production. Even if no more good news comes our way, I am confident that my daughter would be content at UTexas...
  • StantonMomStantonMom Registered User Posts: 138 Junior Member
    @WWWard .. just sent you a rather long message telling you about the program.. my son graduated December 2015.
    @StantonMom I'm not sure if you are talking about FSU, but if you are I'd love to hear about your son's experience as well. My son is interviewing FSU in less than two weeks. Thank you!
    @StantonMom --ditto, except I don't have a child interviewing just yet. Hope to in another year...but would love to hear your thoughts.
  • jrmutleyjrmutley Registered User Posts: 62 Junior Member
    I have some small insights into the program. In a prior post, I mentioned that we know a current FSU film student. He graduates this spring and is actually quite critical of the program for a couple of reasons. This person is an aquaintance that we met by chance who was a great resource during the application process. He actually reviewed my son's submission and thought he had a great shot at an interview.

(*FYI - I'm using the pronoun "he/his" generically. I don't want to "out" our aquatintance in any way.)

First, when the arrangement with Digital Domain ceased, that caused a lot of headaches for the class of 2017. They became known as the "guinea pig" class. If you don't know who/what Digital Domain is, Google them and FSU.

The students from the animation major in West Palm (related to the Digital Domain arrangement) were absorbed into the production major in Tallahassee. It wasn't a smooth transition. I'm not going to pretend that I know or understand all of the details. Just that the affected students pretty much felt screwed by the administration and still have hard feelings about how that played out.

Secondly, in the student's opinion, the Dean has an odd fascination in VR tech (he's actually the former Dean now because he recently took a job at a production company in Atlanta; he is still listed as a faculty member). As such, he has spent a great deal of the school's budget on that emerging technology. If that interests your applicants, great. However, the student we know believes that VR is definitely NOT going to make an impact in narrative film and is not why he attended FSU in the first place.

The student has flat out told me that if he could do it all over again, and could attend elsewhere, he would. At the same time, he has also conceded that at the end of the day he knows that he will have a BFA-Film Production degree from a program that is well known, respected, and has a great network of working professionals behind it. He also sees improvement in the program's treatment of those classes behind the "guinea pig" class. So, by the time that these interviewees become film students, all of those kinks should hopefully be worked out. He also seems pretty psyched and proud of Barry Jenkins big win last night.
    Just for reference FSU's former dean that left was Frank Patterson, who left to assume the role of President of Pinewood Studios Atlanta, the largest U.S. based movie studio/sound stage/post-production facility outside of Hollywood. He assumed that role Jan. 1st, 2017.I know several FSU film grads who moved to Atlanta that saw the move as a beneficial one for FSU grads sticking around the SE. Pinewood ATL is where Ant Man, Spiderman: Homecoming, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Captain American: Civil War all filmed last year.
  • jrmutleyjrmutley Registered User Posts: 62 Junior Member
    My post was already getting too long. But, yes. That is correct and has to be seen as a major plus for FSU. Patterson's role at Pinewood is definitely a feather in the cap and hopefully opens up a few doors for FSU grads. I was just relaying what one current student has told me.
    Is anyone interviewing at FSU MPA this week, March 3rd or 4th, or only on the 10th or 11th? If what they suggest already occurred, then up to 24 have already interviewed. So it should only take up to 4 more sessions (2 per day) to complete the other 21-24 (they suggested a total of 45 interviews this year). I am just trying to speculate the earliest that their decisions could be announced. Seems like mid-March at the earliest. Also... they said that those accepted will get a call... others/alternates will only receive an email initially.
    @WWWard the session choices my son was given were Feb 24th, March 10th and March 24th so decisions should be sometime after the 24th.
    @loribale Ugh... lol. OK... Thanks. So, I guess FSU MPA will be like everyone else, with final decisions looming during the last week of March. It is going to be a very stressful month.
    Yes, it will be a long month!! : )
  • FHSTNFHSTN Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    Getting in on this a bit late, but my son is a deferred admission. We were told If he got an interview he would be notified either right before the university decision or right after. Portfolio is strong with good history of film related awards, good ACT, borderline gpa. I know an acquaintance received an email saying he did not make it into the interview round. Does anyone know if they would have notified him if they already weren't interested in interviewing based on portfolio? Maybe they just let FSU send the rejection notice on March 16th? Would hope if they already know it's a no that they wouldn't wait until the 16th.