Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. So far, the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook has helped more than 10K students choose a college, get in, and pay for it. Get your free copy: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM

FSU Film School - 2016

Replies to: FSU Film School - 2016

• WWWardWWWard Registered User Posts: 1,439 Senior Member
    edited March 10
    @FHSTN As I understand it, only 45 applicants were invited, via email, this cycle to interview for the FSU MPA BFAs. Those emails were sent out by Gloria at FSU MPA the week of Feb 7th.

If he was a deferred FSU admit, and not already admitted to FSU, then he would not even have been considered for MPA this cycle.

He could try again to transfer into the program as a sophomore... reapplying to MPA while a freshman at FSU, if he eventually gets in. But you first have to be admitted to FSU generally to even be considered for MPA.

Good Luck to him...
  • FHSTNFHSTN Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    My son is OOS and was rejected at UT-Austin.. He has a strong portfolio with many film awards in the past year and a half. His productions are done as well as what you see on tv. His ACT is good and ok gpa from a school with high academic record. His school ranks but has decided it has been to the disadvantage of its students because even students in the bottom half are super good students. When my son found out he was rejected, he said, "honestly, why would I want to go to a film school that never even looked at my portfolio." To be honest, the facilities looked nice, but of the seven schools we visited, it was the least welcoming and the most unkept. So I suspect they have a high number of students admitted with super high class ranks but that probably have done nothing real impressive as far as film is concerned. Just an interesting approach for such a well regarded university program.
    @FHSTN We also did not understand or grasp UTexas' approach to admitting applicants into the RTF program. Their program faculty apparently plays zero role in the decision-making process and portfolios are not reviewed even if submitted.

But Austin is a excellent city, and UTexas is also well-respected overall. I cannot speak to their RTF program other than their strong ranking & positive industry feedback. IMO, they do not even do a very good job of self-promoting it or explaining its strengths or merits online. We have not visited UTexas yet and will likely only do so if my daughter is ultimately rejected by both USC SCA and FSU MPA (her top choices - especially as both are BFA programs).

My daughter was OOS as well in terms of UTexas (FL), but her rank & academic stats are all very competitive. Her main strengths I believe though is her ECs and essays / writing samples. Clearly, UTexas admissions though seems to be purely #s driven... (with in-state auto-admits simply determined by rank) which is a shame for the creative majors. But at this point, it remains a strong back-up contender for my daughter... unless she somehow gets into one of the super elite schools that she also applied to. A couple of them may be hard to turn down, if admitted.
    Well, I guess that there is no one new and being interviewed at FSU MPA this month following this CC thread.

Good luck to anyone interviewing the 23rd or 24th. I assume that those have to be the last sessions... as they really need to turn-around decisions quickly thereafter.

USC SCA is mailing out their decisions on the 23rd and updating their admission portal on the 26th, so it seems that applicants to FSU MPA will learn their fate at USC SCA (those applying to both) first. I had initially thought that it would be the other way around.
  • loribaleloribale Registered User Posts: 46 Junior Member
    Good luck, will keep you posted if my son hears anything, please do the same.
    Will do...
  • cruzanladycruzanlady Registered User Posts: 21 New Member
    edited March 20
    Saw one acceptance to FSU MPA retweeted by FSU Admission today! Hopefully that means you will all hear soon! Fingers crossed for good news all around!
    Oh wow, thanks for letting us know. I found Lexie's tweet, great news for her!
  • jrmutleyjrmutley Registered User Posts: 59 Junior Member
    I just came on here to say the same thing. Congrats to her!
    Yes... congrats to Lexie. She was in my daughter's group for interviews.
    My daughter just got into UMiami for Film, but I suspect that she will rank it below UTexas among the other admits... and below FSU MPA and USC SCA if those become admissions too. Even with a scholarship, UMiami is certainly a lot more expensive though. Yikes! lol So, I am sort of glad it is down on her list. The silence from FSU MPA and even from others is a little unnerving. I thought that they would not announce any decisions until all interviews were concluded. But now that they did, you have to suspect that they did not just admit one over the weekend. So who are the other lucky admits I wonder...?
    They are still interviewing so it can't be that many announced yet. Congrats on the UMiami acceptance, I was recently wishing my son had applied there as well. Is UMiami more than USC tuition?
    Thanks. UMiami lists its total cost of attendance as $66K/yr. USC is $69K/yr. Of course, those are the raw #s without applying any scholarships or FA, if applicable. Pricey.
    Wow! OK now I'm glad he didn't apply there, lol.
    Yes... FSU is much more reasonable, even for OOS applicants. But my daughter will only commit there with an MPA admission.