Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. So far, the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook has helped more than 10K students choose a college, get in, and pay for it. Get your free copy: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM

Art Schools - Anyone with know innovators not stuck in the ways of RISD, SAIC, Parsons, etc?

2»

Replies to: Art Schools - Anyone with know innovators not stuck in the ways of RISD, SAIC, Parsons, etc?

• MazeArtCrewMazeArtCrew Registered User Posts: 173 Junior Member
    I think that Atelier's are under rated This page has a fairly in-depth explanation of the differences between Ateliers and Art Colleges: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php/133215-Whats-the-difference-between-an-Atelier-and-an-Art-College. If I had to do it over again, I would consider an atelier for a couple of years, then art college.
  • shoot4moonshoot4moon Registered User Posts: 1,115 Senior Member
    What is your son's area of interest?
  • atlascentauratlascentaur Registered User Posts: 45 Junior Member
    edited March 5
    He is generally dedicated to visual arts as a profession (has a superb, natural sense of the visual - I've used him on jobs in my agency for several years). But he is not committed to a specific field. (Back when I went to school that was perfectly acceptable. But, today, we seem to demand that 18 year olds commit earlier than we did. It's going to be a mess if 'Us keep it up because most people are served well by general area study and specialization later.))

His portfolio for acceptance was primarily photography but he is also an excellent early video/film editor, has solid making skills for physical objects. He does not have much drawing/painting/sculpting/ceramic background but is interested.
  • stones3stones3 Registered User Posts: 648 Member
    edited March 6
    ill put up another recommendation for VCUARTS. D attends . First off its the #1 public and USNWR ranks it # 2 in the nation behind Yale for grad programs. Its a tremendous facility within a larger university. First year no one declares a major, rather it is spent in a foundation year. Students must take a curriculum that touches on all disciplines. They then apply for their desired major with a portfolio/grades. It is very competitive, some majors more than others. Also with the Da Vinci center students can participate in cross discipline (ie, engineers , business and art majors) work on real world projects for real world companies etc. (was one of the first of its kind). Richmond is also a very artsy community.
    It has exceeded our D expectations. D has managed to sell a few pieces while putting together her portfolio all with faculty help/guidance. Worth a consideration.
  • ArtAngstArtAngst Registered User Posts: 84 Junior Member
    I'd posted this under the other heading already....but some thoughts on two other schools I'm a little familiar with that haven't been mentioned...

MICA:
    I thought MICA had an interesting approach in that they were much more flexible than RISD in what your major was/how open it seemed to be and their argument was that's really how artists function in the professional world and as creators (ie they switch between all sorts of mediums throughout their lives).

My daughter really liked the school - the campus, programs, facilities, larger community etc. She was applying during the time that there were riots in Baltimore and we were signed up for all their social media and I was impressed with how the school communicated with parents (via their FB page etc) and also how the students and faculty engaged with the larger community during the height of the tensions and how they continued to engage afterwards.

Daughter was accepted to MICA, but RISD and Syracuse gave her bigger merit and aid packages so they got bumped down our list.

RIT:
    We visited early on in the process and she chose not to apply (although her portfolio was accepted as a sophomore! darn kid way to diss any potential aid $!!) since they didn't seem that strong in her major Illustration & she wasn't keen on location etc. BUT as a tech school their animation, film, gaming etc seems top notch. I know several graduates in the gaming industry and the school seems much more 'job' and industry focused than a typical art school.

Syracuse:
    They also have a good art program, generous aid (since they have a HUGE endowment) and some interesting combination majors in both visual and performing arts. Plus under their "TransMedia" heading there's connections to their Newhouse School of Communications. http://vpa.syr.edu/

Hope this helps!
  • boston01boston01 Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
    Thank you to everyone -- I am learning a lot as I follow this thread.

Has anyone looked into Gnomon School in Hollywood, CA?

Though just a high school student, my daughter took an excellent digital painting course there last summer. Since they are a real working studio (with many current movie credits) as well as a school, there is a heavy emphasis on skill and the teaching was great. Not over-conceptualized...
2»