Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

UCLA TFT FALL 2017 Interviews??

Replies to: UCLA TFT FALL 2017 Interviews??

• MiniGrace11MiniGrace11 Registered User Posts: 191 Junior Member
    @kscott_2000 I just typed out an email to send to them, but I will give them until Tuesday to reply. If I do not hear back from them by the time I go on my break on Tuesday, I'm going to give them a call. Do you mind if I post the email here so I can get feedback on it before I send it to them?
  • kscott_2000kscott_2000 Registered User Posts: 16 New Member
    Good plan. Yeah sure, post it.
    edited March 12
    To Whom It May Concern,

Hello! I am writing to inform the school about a glitch in the system on the TFT supplemental application website. Upon checking my application’s progress via the department’s applicant web portal, I reviewed my essays and noticed that one of them reformatted itself after uploading it with the rest of my application. I am unsure when this happened, but I am confused and am requesting clarification on if this could impact an admissions decision for myself and other applicants that typed their essays using Google Docs as well.
    I looked into this issue with Google’s programming, and it seems that this has been an issue with the system for over a few years now and they have not been able to fix the problem yet. The bug in their system can cause awkward spacing in documents; making pages look longer than they are. My “Life Challenge” essay converted into PDF form in a way where unauthorized spaces were added to my work, putting the last sentence on a third page when the paper was written in the proper format and following the TFT guidelines for the supplemental applications listed on the website.
    I am aware that failure to comply with the instructions for the TFT admissions essays can disqualify applicants for the chance to receive admissions offers from the school. I would like the school to be notified of this issue so that myself and other prospective students are still reviewed and considered for the opportunity to be a part of the programs to which we have applied. If needed, I have documentation of the glitch in the system confirmed by Google, and I have both hard copies and the original (non-pdf) format of the essay that meets the two-page maximum. I would greatly appreciate a response to clarify the impact this could have on applicants and how we could go about finding a solution to this issue would be greatly appreciated! Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

(insert real name here)
    Fall 2017 Transfer Applicant
    (phone number here)
    ironically enough I had to reformat it AGAIN because the email got messed up too
    I think that's perfect. And if you have to call, just read off word for word as best you can.
    awesome! thanks! I'm gonna send it right now. :)
    Now Im obsessively inspecting my supplements and I realized my creative writing and my personal essay both use "Kidding"....dear God I'm going to die. I hope they don't think that's amateur. My critical analysis is amazing so hopefully they focus on that more lol
    @kscott_2000 I did the same! I'm super paranoid! April 14th can't come sooner! Are you a CCC student?
    Yeah I'm at El Camino right now.
    @kscott_2000 omg I was like "wait...how can someone be a transfer from a high school?" and then I remembered that El Camino is a college too! haha. I'm over at Pierce.
    hahaha nice I have a friend over there that graduated last year
  • elise22199elise22199 Registered User Posts: 25 New Member
    Hey guys! I'm not sure how much help I'd be since I'm not part of the admissions committee, but I checked my supplementals today after reading this thread and found that my creative supplement was over 5 pages by a couple lines yikes! However, I was interviewed in February about my application, so I think that maybe the admissions committee is letting it slide? Since @MiniGrace11 said the whole google docs reformatting thing has been a problem, I figure that they're more lenient on the page count thing (as long as it's not over the limit by a TON). Hope this helps somewhat!
    @elise22199 Yes! Thank you! I really appreciate you telling us that! It takes a bit of the pressure off. You interviewed in February so you are a freshman applicant, correct?
  • elise22199elise22199 Registered User Posts: 25 New Member
    Yeah I applied as a freshman! So don't stress about the interview thing I guess! Freshmen (from what I can tell) go under a different review process! @MiniGrace11