Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

graphic design major

machumbimachumbi Posts: 24Registered User New Member
i'm thinking about majoring in graphic design, has anyone done this already? what advice do they have about graphic design schools?

i dont think i'd be able to afford a really expensive school...i'd be transferring from a 2 year Community College. What schools, preferably driving distacne from the L.A. area, have a good graphic design program?

(and list which ones are more affordable if possible..) THANKS!!! This would really help me!
Post edited by machumbi on

Replies to: graphic design major

• sixteenseriessixteenseries Posts: 8Registered User New Member
    definitely Otis!
    http://otis.edu
  • PATSY55PATSY55 Posts: 94Registered User Junior Member
    ART CENTER Pasadena. Plenty of students transfer from schools like Pasadena City College. It is EXPENSIVE, but if you develope a good portfolio, there is money available. Try out their night and weekend classes to develope your portfolio before applying.
  • larationalistlarationalist Posts: 916Registered User Member
    on the lower cost end of the spectrum, CSU-Long Beach supposedly has a good program, and UCLA would be worth checking into as well. A couple of my teachers from the Otis night program went to school at UCLA and seem to be doing pretty well for themselves.
  • machumbimachumbi Posts: 24Registered User New Member
    isn't UCLA a bit pricey? and isn't it also very very competitive? I got into UCLA's communication department for this fall but i turned it down because of my change in majors.
  • larationalistlarationalist Posts: 916Registered User Member
    I guess since you specified that you were looking in the LA area, I assumed you were a California resident. If that's the case, then UCLA probably offers the most bang for your buck. If you're not a CA resident, then yes it's pretty expensive. Sorry if I assumed something based on too little information.
  • tinycitiestinycities Posts: 42Registered User Junior Member
    im suprised no one has said calarts. although calarts is definitely more experimental/avant garde based graphic design than any of the other schools mentioned.