Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. So far, the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook has helped more than 10K students choose a college, get in, and pay for it. Get your free copy: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM

Big List of Film/Cinema Programs

Replies to: Big List of Film/Cinema Programs

• baronbvpbaronbvp Registered User Posts: 190 Junior Member
    Does anyone know how the film programs in Virginia compare between VCU, JMU, and GMU? They all have them. VCU is a great arts and design school. JMU's program looks solid, and GMU's as well though their photos show outdated video equipment.

My son wants to be a digital film editor and we won't be able to afford USC, NYU, Columbia, etc if he even had the grades/test scores to get in there. JMU is harder to get into than VCU, but I imagine admission to the film program at VCU is competitive. JMU requires that you apply to the major after you are already a student, whereas VCU and GMU let you apply direct entry as a prospective freshman. We live 15 mins away from GMU, so that is my son's third choice since it's too close. :-)
  • Ya YaYa Ya Registered User Posts: 1,158 Senior Member
    The 25 Best Film Schools Rankings - The Hollywood Reporter

The Hollywood Reporter's inaugural list (comprised with help from industry insiders) of the world's best.

1. American Film Institute
    2. University of Southern California
    3. Beijing Film Academy (China)
    4. New York University Tisch School of the Arts
    5. University of California Los Angeles
    6. California Institute of the Arts
    7. The Film and TV School of the Academy of Performing Arts in Prague (Czech Republic)
    8. Columbia University School of the Arts
    9. Wesleyan University
    10. The National Film and Television School (UK)
    11. La Femis (France)
    12. University of North Carolina School of the Arts
    13. University of Texas at Austin
    14. The Polish National Film, Television and Theater School (Poland)
    15. Syracuse University
    16. Stanford University
    17. Florida State University College of Motion Picture Arts
    18. Emerson Visual and Media Arts School
    19. Loyola Marymount University
    20. University of Wisconsin/Milwaukee
    21. Rhode Island School of Design
    22. Chapman University Dodge College of Film & Media Arts
    23. Ringling College of Art and Design
    24. Northwestern University
    25. Colorado Film School
  • richardlutharrichardluthar Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    The American Film Institute best for career, than was all film act knows.The Film and TV School of the Academy of Performing Arts in Prague (Czech Republic) is good for Cinema Programs and develop by Performing Arts in Prague.
  • NettskyNettsky Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
  • nrk700nrk700 Registered User Posts: 54 Junior Member
    Humboldt State University
    BA Theater & Film
    Theatre, Film, & Dance | Humboldt State University

California State University, Monterey Bay
    BA Teledramatic Arts and Technology
    Teledramatic Arts & Technology
  • infinity123infinity123 Registered User Posts: 38 Junior Member
    This list is outdated. I know that Emerson is now #9.

THR's Top 25 Film Schools List Revealed Gallery - The Hollywood Reporter
  • roberto29roberto29 Registered User Posts: 15 New Member
    George Mason University: Film and video studies
    FAVS @ George Mason University
  • MattofFilmMattofFilm Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    Burlington College
    Film and Media Program
    https://www.burlington.edu
  • filmfrank01filmfrank01 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    Has anyone heard of the school "The International Academy of Film and Television"?

It's in Burbank and I think they just opened a year or two ago. They are still accepting applications for an August start and the tuition is really low, so I'd like to hear if anyone has any experience with them.

Has anyone heard of them or gone in for a tour?

http://iaft.net/locations/los-angeles/

• filmnjfilmnj Registered User Posts: 45 Junior Member
    The latest 2014 Hollywood Reporter list of the Top 25 Film Schools in the US:
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/top-25-film-schools-united-721649
  • mom4bwayboymom4bwayboy Registered User Posts: 1,617 Senior Member
  • Violet4Violet4 Registered User Posts: 66 Junior Member
    University of Iowa - Cinematic Arts
    http://clas.uiowa.edu/ccl/
  • Violet4Violet4 Registered User Posts: 66 Junior Member
    It seems Full Sail's reputation has improved. Here is a recent article from the New York Times that speaks pretty highly of the program.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/12/education/edlife/film-school-for-profit-or-not.html?_r=0
  • digmediadigmedia Registered User Posts: 3,304 Senior Member
    @Violet4 - I am posting this under its own thread because I think it makes some important points.
  • filmproffilmprof Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    As a film professor for the past 5 years, let me say this. You want to go to a school in which its professors are/were professionals in their craft. I don't care what the school is or even if their credits were mediocre at best, you want to go to a school where all/most of its faculty made a living solely doing what they're teaching. Too many schools, mine included, are full of academics who have no real world experience (NOTE: exceptions to this is that if you're planning to get a PhD in film and want to become an academic but I don't recommend that to anyone because this is an adjunct nation.)

I say this because my department is full of tenured professors who haven't done anything remotely creative in years. Or they're full of part-time professors (me) who struggle to make a living.

Don't go to a school that has that one quasi-celebrity stopping by for a two-hour guest lecture. Credits means a movie you've heard of or know the people in it, not some indie film without distribution. Again, it doesn't have to be amazing credits either.

I hate to sound so negative here, but as someone who has lived and breathed film school since his early 20's, I've seen so many people not getting what they pay for. For example, my program does not require its students to write a full-length screenplay, make a tv show, or direct a short film. I wanted to make our program more challenging but it's fallen on deaf ears. I now feel my job, for better or worse, is to simply shuffle these kids through our system and I feel horrible about it, but I have 5 other classes to teach in addition to the ones I teach at the film school.